Dec 18, 2012, 4:46 PM EST
Making official what was reported as nearly done last week, the Rays have agreed to a one-year contract with Roberto Hernandez (formerly known as Fausto Carmona).
According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times he’ll get $3.25 million in guaranteed money and $1.85 million in potential incentives, which is a pretty nice score for a guy who threw all of 14 innings this year and has posted an ERA below 5.00 once since 2008.
Hernandez is expected to compete for a rotation spot, but Topkin notes that some of his incentives are based on relief appearances. Carmona hasn’t worked as a reliever since his rookie season with the Indians in 2006.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40