The Indians woo Nick Swisher like he’s a high school quarterback

Dec 18, 2012, 2:28 PM EDT

Nick Swisher is taking a “sign me, brah!” tour and is meeting with the Indians today. And apparently this is happening:

Why do I think most teams wouldn’t do this? At least not for someone who is less than a top shelf superstar?  Brandon McCarthy sums it up nicely:

1. Utley's Hair - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Maybe they have a kegger planned for later.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:31 PM

“I only came here to do two things, sign a deal and drink some beer. Looks like we’re almost outta beer. Hey, whatta you think my face looks like on the scoreboard?”

2. fanofevilempire - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM

McCarthy is a douche bag!!

whoooo hoooo, when was the last time someone did this for you.

take your time Swish and don’t make any quick decisions,check out all your options and ……….
    man you better sign that contract.

• El Bravo - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:49 PM

did you know that “whoooo” and “hoooo” are homonyms?

• Utley's Hair - Dec 19, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Not that there’s anything WRONG with that…

• lostsok - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:48 PM

McCarthy is awesome. Let’s see YOU field a line drive with your face. That’s dedication!

• thebadguyswon - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Yeah, the douche in the equation is Swisher.

3. hep3 - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:43 PM

“…at least the Tribe is giving him the full in-season experience. You know, what with an empty stadium and all.”

Ouch; a little harsh, maybe.

• Francisco (FC) - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I actually, physically, winced after reading that. Craig man, where’s your holiday spirit?

• Lukehart80 - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:47 PM

As a Braves fan, Craig is an expert on empty baseball stadiums, especially of the playoff variety, which is a rare bird outside Atlanta.

4. whitdog23 - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM

stadium is set up for Snow Days…ice skating etc. Bet it looks dumb with his pic on scoreboard

• djeg07 - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM

they did away with that year ago

5. ktourek - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I think I just became a fan of Brandon McCarthy

6. mj1818 - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM

So it’s exactly like a game situation in Clevelan..face on the scoreboard and an empty stadium.

7. alexo0 - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I think of McCarthy as a HS cheerleader, considering how much time he seems to spend on his phone.

8. El Bravo - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Nick Swisher is a douchenozzle.

• thebadguyswon - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I prefer douchewagon. He’s a bigger douche than that represented by a nozzle.

9. El Bravo - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:23 PM

This article made me realize I need to have a list of those that are the opposite of the douchnozzles. Lasses and Gentlelads, I present you the following:

The Inaugural 2012 List of Gentlelads and Lasses.

1. Brandon McCarthy – For calling out the Indians for trying too hard to sign the biggest douchenozzle on the planet.

• themuddychicken - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:06 PM

While I’d fully endorse putting McCarthy on a list like this, I’m not sure this is the specific reason I would choose.

I’d go with something more along the lines of: For being Brandon McCarthy.

• El Bravo - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:50 PM

My reasoning is sound and accurate.

10. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM

What cap is Swisher wearing in the picture on the scoreboard?

11. thesmedman - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Dear Nick,

You’d have a better chance of post-season with Philadelphia. And a relative of yours is a Philadelphia legacy, if I recall correctly…

• Kevin Gillman - Dec 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM

His whole family is in Ohio, went to Ohio State, it’s always good to be back HOME.

12. DJ MC - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Other teams do it.

There are a couple specific cases I know of involving the Orioles, once with Carl Pavano (doing something similar with showing him in the Opening Day metchup), and with Rick Sutcliffe years ago (taking him to the mound at an unfinished Camden Yards to get a feel for the place).

I think it happens more often than you think, but there just aren’t too many people around in the offseason to notice and report on it.

13. snowbirdgothic - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I believe Cleveland’s GM is standing outside the stadium in a battered trench coat, holding up a boom box and blasting “In Your Eyes” as we speak.

• El Bravo - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Is it raining?

• blantoncollier - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Actually, the GM is taking a collection, hoping fans will drop a buck in his hat. That way Larry Dolan can afford to sign a Free Agent!

14. largebill - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Taking the high school recruiting notion a step further, Swisher (an Ohio State alum) had lunch with Jim Tressel today according to Paul Hoynes of the PD.

15. elpendejo59 - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I hate to make fun of my own team, but when the Braves were courting BJ Upton, they had the “lineup” posted on the scoreboard at Turner Field as if it were a live game with his name in the lineup. I really wonder if it means anything to those guys, maybe subliminally. Kind of like back when buying a TV was a considered a major purchase and the salesman would pull the ever so slick move of putting the remote in your hand to make you feel ownership or whatever.

16. rayfeathers - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:55 PM

courting swisher? how desperate can you get? isn’t austin kearns still out there?

• snowbirdgothic - Dec 18, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Yes. You just need to dig about six feet to find him.

17. albertmn - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Swisher seems like a guy that might actually be swayed by this, getting treated like a top shelf superstar when he is really a step below that (very good, but not superstar).

18. garyzx7r - Dec 18, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Everybody, quit hating! Cleveland has lost out on a lot of top talent in the past : Manny, Thome, LeBron… don’t worry what they do, at least they don’t sign every mega star, and never win

19. dalucks - Dec 18, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Woo Nick Swisher, C’mon man.
    When did Nick Swisher become good? Saying he is an average baseball player is giving him way too much credit.

20. klingonj - Dec 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I like Swisher, I really do, but he disappears in the post season. I wish I had a smerter, hipper post, but that’s the truth

21. macjacmccoy - Dec 19, 2012 at 3:06 AM

“It does seem a bit silly. But at least the Tribe is giving him the full in-season experience. You know, what with an empty stadium and all.”
    Wow that was actually funny Craig. I guess there’s some truth to what they say “Even a broken clock is right twice a day”.

22. broncosfan29 - Dec 19, 2012 at 4:07 AM

the indians need to bring back wild thing rick vaughn and pedro cerano

23. southpaw77 - Dec 20, 2012 at 12:54 AM

He was wined and dined also.

For this Indians owner it means Nick was taken to McDonald’s and told to choose anything he wanted…Off the dollar menu and get a small drink, so they can get free refills…

You rock Dolan, cheapest baseball owner.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3786)