Dec 18, 2012, 11:03 AM EDT
With Anibal Sanchez locked up the Tigers rotation looks pretty spiffy:
Six legit major league starters for five slots is not a bad position to be in. You can keep ’em all and have some nice pitching depth. Or, if you have some other holes to fill, you could deal one. Which may very well be what Dave Dombrowski plans on doing:
Tigers are taking calls on Smyly as well as Porcello. Not committed to trading either one, but with tons of interest, I’m guessing one goes.
— DKnobler (@DKnobler) December 18, 2012
We already heard about the Tigers fielding interest on Porcello, but one wonders if Smyly wouldn’t bring greater value. With only one year under his belt, Smyly already looks pretty good: a good strikeout rate, not particularly lucky on balls in play. In this market a cheap, solid pitcher should bring a lot of value. It’ll be interesting to see what the Tigers do with him.
May 22, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
Athletes aren’t born with an ability to speak with the media. We got a look into a media coaching session between Athletics closer Sean Doolittle and girlfriend Eireann Dolan.
May 22, 2015, 7:51 PM EDT
The Dodgers added some pitching depth on Friday, acquiring pitcher Eric Surkamp from the White Sox.
May 22, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The White Sox are managing Carlos Rodon’s workload so they pushed the lefty’s start back from Monday.
May 22, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Coco Crisp will go back on the disabled list, but has chosen against having career-ending surgery.
May 22, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
The Mets appear to be heading towards using a six-man rotation after Dillon Gee returns on Saturday.
May 22, 2015, 4:47 PM EDT
The Yankees firmly believe that the only people allowed to disparage Alex Rodriguez are the Yankees.
May 22, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Castillo is starting tonight in right field.
May 22, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
Janssen was signed for $5 million to replace Tyler Clippard as the Nationals’ primary setup man.
May 22, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
When I see you smile, Barry, I can face the world. You know I can do anything. When I see you smile, I see a ray of light.
May 22, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
21-year-old right-hander Norge Ruiz.
May 22, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
But Major League Baseball’s silliness about these kinds of infractions, however, will continue on unabated.
Quote of the Day: Freddie Freeman inadvertently illustrates the silliness of the foreign substance rules
May 22, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
Paraphrased: “Smith should be way less obvious about the fact that he’s trying to keep us safe!”
May 22, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Travis has been a huge bright spot for Toronto this season.
May 22, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
At least that’s what Molly Knight reports from Japan, and I’m inclined to agree.
May 22, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Mujica actually managed to pick up the ball and make a throw to first base for the out.
May 22, 2015, 8:46 AM EDT
Everyone does it and no one cares. Until someone does.
May 22, 2015, 7:19 AM EDT
The Giants own the Dodgers at AT&T Park. And the Madison Bumgarner owned Clayton Kershaw. At least yesterday.
May 21, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT
The Cubs are reportedly one of several teams who have looked into signing Soriano.
May 21, 2015, 11:03 PM EDT
Coco Crisp left Tuesday’s game with tightness in his neck and it sounds like he’s going to need to miss some time.
May 21, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
The Phillies have reportedly talked to the Angels about a deal involving Revere.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)