Dec 19, 2012, 5:14 PM EDT
Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto has been searching for rotation help and shopping extra bats, and MLB.com reports that he’s found a fit by trading first baseman/designated hitter Kendrys Morales to the Mariners for left-hander Jason Vargas.
It’s a rare deal between division rivals, but the Mariners have whiffed on several free agent hitting targets and certainly need more quality bats in a lineup that ranked dead last among AL teams in scoring. After missing most of 2010 and all of 2011 with a broken ankle Morales bounced back to stay healthy and hit .273 with 22 homers and a .787 OPS in 134 games. The switch-hitter is eligible for free agency next offseason, so it’s a short-term pickup for Seattle.
Vargas has been a solid innings-eater for the Mariners during the past three seasons, throwing 217, 201, and 193 innings with a 3.96 ERA. Some of that is thanks to a pitcher-friendly home ballpark–from 2010-2012 he had a 3.46 ERA in Seattle and a 4.53 ERA on the road. Of course, the Angels’ ballpark is pitcher-friendly too, as a fly-ball pitcher Vargas will benefit from their strong outfield defense, and they’d probably take 200 innings of a four-something ERA from him happily. Vargas, like Morales, is eligible for free agency next offseason.
Good but not great first baseman/designated hitter for good but not great starting pitcher, both with one season of team control remaining. Seems pretty fair and fills obvious needs for both teams involved, which helps explain the willingness to trade within the division.
Apr 28, 2015, 2:49 PM EDT
This will give the O’s four straight days off followed by a nine-game road trip.
Apr 28, 2015, 1:42 PM EDT
The former All-Star and former prospect is back in the bush leagues.
Apr 28, 2015, 1:21 PM EDT
Howie Kendrick Lamar.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT
Awful news for one of baseball’s toughest customers.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:16 PM EDT
Crawford may be joining Yasiel Puig on the shelf.
Apr 28, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Turning back into a pumpkin?
Apr 28, 2015, 11:36 AM EDT
Baseball takes a back seat as unrest continues in Baltimore.
Apr 28, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
CSNBaltimore.com’s Orioles beat reporter Rich Dubroff on his experience Monday night.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Returning to Houston as a free agent on a three-year, $23 million contract, Lowrie is off to a very strong start.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
The fan was taken from Wrigley Field in an ambulance.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
In calling up Cole for his debut the Nationals bypassed Tanner Roark.
Apr 28, 2015, 9:31 AM EDT
They’re right not to be.
Apr 28, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Note to Nori Aoki: if the ball is heading to center field against the Dodgers, you want to get back to the bag more quickly.
Apr 28, 2015, 7:21 AM EDT
The Mets continue to be Amazin’.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:17 AM EDT
Jose Reyes has been trying to play through a small crack in his left rib, but he’ll now get an extended absence.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
The Mets are now 15-5 on the young season and already hold an eight-game lead over the Nationals in the National League East.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
The Nationals mapped out a plan that could have had Rendon make his season debut as soon as Thursday against the Mets, but that’s on hold for now.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks are reportedly among the potential landing spots for Saltalamacchia.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
Bailey is coming off flexor tendon surgery. Could Tommy John surgery be next?
Apr 27, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT
McCarthy appears headed for season-ending Tommy John surgery.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 113
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (170)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)