Dec 19, 2012, 2:42 PM EDT
Houston picked up a potential back-of-the-rotation starter in John Ely, acquiring the right-hander from Los Angeles for minor leaguer Rob Rasmussen.
Ely hasn’t had much success in various stints with the Dodgers, throwing 115 career innings with a 5.70 ERA, but he led the hitter-friendly Triple-A Pacific Coast League with a 3.20 ERA this year while posting an excellent 165/36 K/BB ratio in 169 innings.
Obviously the Astros can use all the pitching help they can get and the 27-year-old Ely has the potential to be useful if given an extended opportunity.
Rasmussen was the Marlins’ second-round pick in 2010, had a mediocre season between Single-A and Double-A as a 23-year-old, and was traded to the Astros in the Carlos Lee deal. He’s not a bad pickup for the Dodgers considering Ely wasn’t in their plans at all.
Jul 31, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
The price is too high.
Jul 31, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Cardinals’ bullpen is suddenly stacked with closers and ex-closers.
Jul 31, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Maybe he’ll see Daniel Norris coming the other way in his van?
Jul 31, 2015, 10:39 AM EDT
Milwaukee would receive a starting pitcher prospect in return.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:49 AM EDT
Or, the very least, want the Padres to think they are so as to bring Craig Kimbrel’s price down.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
They have the worst ERA in the AL, so any starter would be a nice addition.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:18 AM EDT
Another torn quadriceps muscle for the All-Star left fielder.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:55 AM EDT
I feel like Ken Caminiti has to be involved.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:51 AM EDT
Jay Bruce instead of Carlos Gomez?
Jul 31, 2015, 8:43 AM EDT
He’d be both a 2015 and a future move.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:18 AM EDT
The Yankees bullpen is already a strength. Will it be stronger by 4pm today?
Jul 31, 2015, 7:34 AM EDT
In a night of several walkoffs — including a walkoff walk — Jason Castro had the biggest, helping Houston complete the sweep of the Angels.
Jul 31, 2015, 3:22 AM EDT
It’s fortunate this one didn’t get ugly.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:51 AM EDT
We’re recapping all of the deals as they come down.
Jul 31, 2015, 12:24 AM EDT
Leake has a 3.56 ERA and 90/34 K/BB ratio in 136 2/3 innings over 21 starts this season.
Jul 31, 2015, 12:00 AM EDT
The Astros completed a three-game sweep of the Angels and now hold a two-game lead in the American League West.
Jul 30, 2015, 11:29 PM EDT
Gallardo isn’t going into the trade deadline on a high note, as he has allowed five runs in three straight starts.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks are trying to make a play for All-Star closer Aroldis Chapman.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:20 PM EDT
It was made possible due to a misplay by Jacoby Ellsbury in center field.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
The Brewers traded center fielder Carlos Gomez to the Astros earlier tonight along with right-hander Mike Fiers and they could be close to another deal.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 36
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 30
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 44
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 12
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)