Brian Cashman says Yankees “are talking to Raul Ibanez”

Dec 19, 2012, 9:15 AM EDT

Raul Ibanez Getty Images

General manager Brian Cashman said yesterday that the Yankees “are taking to Raul Ibanez” about returning to New York.

Ibanez came up huge in the postseason, but had a modest regular season performance at age 40, hitting .240 with 19 homers and a .761 OPS in a platoon role that shielded him from tough left-handed pitchers.

Ibanez hasn’t topped an .800 OPS since 2009, but if the Yankees are looking to pinch pennies he’ll certainly be cheap to re-sign.

That would also mean that the Yankees’ four outfielders and designated hitters–Ibanez, Curtis Granderson, Ichiro Suzuki, Brett Gardner–were all left-handed hitters, so not surprisingly George King of the New York Post speculates that Cashman is pursuing various right-handed-hitting outfielders to pair with them.

Earlier this week the Yankees were linked to Vernon Wells of the Angels and I supposed someone can technically be a right-handed hitter even if they’ve ceased hitting years ago.

1. yankeepunk3000 - Dec 19, 2012 at 9:38 AM

why would we need this guy? or wells we need a right handed hitter who can actually do some hitting…and here’s a question to angel fans why did they take on wells and ALL his contract??? it doesn’t make sense AT ALL

2. Old Gator - Dec 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

It’s nice that the Borg is talking to Ibanez, but here’s even bigger news: I played Ouija Scrabble with Shoeless Joe Jackson last night.

• historiophiliac - Dec 19, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Not even a fair match up — pick on someone your own (literacy) size.

• badintent - Dec 26, 2012 at 2:39 AM

How’s the python hunting going ? Me and the boys are coming down to use our rifles on those rascals. No over size clips, wouldn’t be sporting. Tell Dick Cheney to stay home !

3. cackalackyank - Dec 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I really do not understand this UNLESS they are going to trade Granderson OR correct me if I am wrong…but I have not seen an official confirmation yet from the NYY that the 2 YR 13 million contract that was reported last week has really been signed, and Ichiro may not be back after all. If neither of these is the case then maybe Ibanez is learning to hit right handed.

• Francisco (FC) - Dec 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Maybe he’ll pull an Inigo Montoya on all of us…

4. slartibartfast4242 - Dec 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM

If he comes cheap, why not? As long as I don’t have to see him in the outfield, I’m ok with a move like this.

As for a right handed bat, I’d love to see them give an opportunity to a guy like Ronnier Mustelier rather than a washed up Vernon Wells.

5. timpaz - Dec 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Yankees are the senior citizens home of MLB.

6. pisano - Dec 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Vernon Wells hasn’t hit for the last five years, why in Gods name would anyone want him? Let the Angels have to eat all the money he’s owed, they seem to throw money around like it’s water.

7. louhudson23 - Dec 20, 2012 at 5:40 AM

Ibanez I get. Cheap and with some pop yet .Wells I do not.Cheap apparently and ………….well,he would be cheap, apparently

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5375)