Marlins “checking out Miguel Tejada in winter ball”

Dec 19, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT

miguel-tejada-giants Getty Images

How desperate are the Marlins for a third baseman?

Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports that they’ve been “checking out Miguel Tejada in winter ball” and “also kicked the tires on” Placido Polanco and Brandon Inge.

Tejada is 38. Polanco is 37. Inge is 35. And none of them have posted an OPS above .750 in the past three seasons.

Tejada didn’t even play in the majors this year after hitting .239 with a .596 OPS in 91 games for the Giants in 2011. Polanco and Inge have both been terrible and mostly injured for the past two seasons.

But hey, they’ll be cheap.

1. missthemexpos - Dec 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM

If the Marlins sign any of these players will they promise not to trade them?

• historiophiliac - Dec 19, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I would buy Brandon Inge to trade him to someone I hated.

• natstowngreg - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Now that’s evil. :)

• historiophiliac - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Wahaha!

• kevinbnyc - Dec 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM

You could trade him to Miami? That would be awful.

• Old Gator - Dec 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM

This is worse than Major League. I need to check if that trophy jailbait Scrooge McLoria has been seen squiring about this year is a stripper. In the meantime, is Bob Uecker available to replace the well-compensated Tommy Hutton? He might bolster the Feesh’s broadcast ratings.

• larrytsg - Dec 19, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I thought he meant Uecker as a PLAYER? I mean, why not, he could catch a couple of games, then retire again and be on the HOF ballot for 15 more years! ButI shouldn’t joke, Loria may see this as a good idea, to have a 70 something year old catcher!

• Old Gator - Dec 19, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Why not? He uses brain damaged ex-prizefighters for window dressing.

2. digbysellers - Dec 19, 2012 at 10:53 AM

This must be a joke.

• Old Gator - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Live here for a month. Then ask yourself if it’s a joke.

These guys are, or course, going to fill the stadium – with a gaseous mixture that’s mostly nitrogen with a little bit of oxygen, methane and other greenhouse gasses mixed in – but only because nature abhors a vacuum.

• cur68 - Dec 19, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I believe Wily Mo Peña played a game at 3B for the Reds in 2003 . . . well it’d get back in MLB. That counts for something, right?

• elpendejo59 - Dec 19, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Opening day tickets my Dad bought us for Christmas last year was a good idea at the time. In retrospect, I wish he hadn’t. But drinking tequila on the Tri-Rail and MetroRail all the way down from West Palm Beach made the Muhammad Ali exploitation not nearly as bad. God I hate this franchise.

3. 1972wasalongtimeago - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM

And not Mike Lowell?

4. indaburg - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I hear Chone Figgins is available.

5. dbradt2 - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:39 AM

How much more of this can we take? Agreed Mike Lowell would be better options then this group. Since I have moved away from SFL I have spent far to much money following these clowns…took my whole family to opening day at the new stadium from VA and subscribed to the MLB package for the last 5 years.

I feel fleeced and without any options other than to stick by this group of players with hopes that Loria comes to grips he is the most disliked owner in sports and sells to Mark Cuban. I know wishful thinking. Can’t they find a prospect anywhere in the minors to give us hope someone can man the hot corner other than a 37-38 year old retread?

Thanks for allowing to ramble and get this off my chest…Go Nats!

6. shaggylocks - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I bet Jose Canseco would be more than willing to switch positions to the hot corner.

7. willclarkgameface - Dec 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM

i’ve got a feeling. that tonight’s gonna be a good night. GO MIGGY!

8. albertmn - Dec 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I have to think whoever they had a 3rd base last season at AAA (maybe even at AA) would have to be better than any of those retreads. Why do teams try to sign crappy veterans and mask that as “trying to compete”? The Marlins want to go cheap. We all know that. At least go young and cheap to find out if your young players can hack it. Old, average (or below average) players only make sense if they plug a hole slightly better than your prospects on a contending team. They have no place on a rebuilding team.

• Old Gator - Dec 19, 2012 at 2:05 PM

The guy they had at AAA last season, Matt Domnguez, got traded to the Astros, I think. Good field, no hit. But I suspect he wasn’t traded just because he couldn’t hit. I believe he was traded because he actually is a third baseman, and the Feesh have a long tradition of never playing a real third baseman at third base.

Mike Lowell has let it be known, in any number of subtle ways, that he wants nothing whatsoever to do with the Scrooge McLoria crime family. After the Feesh canned Slobbering Ozzie, there was some speculation they might hire Lowell to manage – but he said, pretty quickly, that he was enjoying his family and his retirement and wasn’t interested in managing “at this time.” He’s a big FIU booster – his alma mater – and I suspect that he would jump at the chance to coach their baseball team rather than freight his life with Scrooge and Chihuahua bullshit.

• elpendejo59 - Dec 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Without a doubt. We will see Lowell coaching at Miami-Dade CC before we ever see him involved with the Loria shitshow. And good for him.

• Old Gator - Dec 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Um…there is no more Miami-Dade CC. It officially became a four-year school, now called Miami-Dade College, several years ago. It still awards an Associates Degree along the way to a Bachelors, but it has dropped the “community” from its name (though it elected to keep using up its old stationery for another six or seven months).

Around here, we call it the Macondo Academy of Applied Bloviation.

• elpendejo59 - Dec 19, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Pardon me, Gator. As a *ahem* proud graduate of Palm Beach Community College, which is now Palm Beach State College, I should have known better. Old habits die hard.

• rayfeathers - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:40 PM

oh gator, thank you again for all the corrections. you must know everything.

• Old Gator - Dec 20, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Oh featherlice, go get yourself a copy of Strunk and White and work on your capitalization and punctuation. Then you’ll know something.

9. rayfeathers - Dec 19, 2012 at 1:36 PM

jonny damon. market it as the first lefty third baseman in mlb history. please.

• Old Gator - Dec 19, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Lefthanders who have played third since 1900:

Willie Keeler, 44 G, NY-N 1892-93, BRO-N 1893, BAL-N 1898, BRO-N 1901, NY-A 1903-05 Hal Chace, 23 G, NY-A 1908 Mike Squires, 14 G, CHI-A 1983-84 Milo Netzel, 6 G, CLE-A 1909 Buck Freeman, 6 G, BOS-A 1905-06 Don Mattingly, 3 G, NY-A 1986 George Sisler, 2 G, STL-A 1916 Cy Seymour, 2 G, NY-N 1899, CIN-N 1902 Terry Francona, 1 G, MON-N 1985 Joe Kuhel, 1 G, WAS-A 1936 Charlie Grimm, 1 G, STL-N 1918 Jessie Burkett, 1 G, STL-A 1902

Add that to your idiotic assertions about R A Dickey’s “one year” as a star pitcher. Do you have some genetic predisposition against actually looking stuff up before you come on here to nail down your reputation as our current ranking ignoramus?

• rayfeathers - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:34 PM

sarcasm. they would market it as such because they’re the marlins. and damon in those hideous unis playing third would be hilarious. but thanks for looking all that up and writing what i already knew. you must be fun at parties.

• Old Gator - Dec 20, 2012 at 1:38 AM

You’re welcome. I look it up because I know you won’t bother to.

• cur68 - Dec 19, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Google’s free. Try it some time.

10. kevinbnyc - Dec 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM

What about Sal Fasano to fill the gap left by John Buck?

• jwbiii - Dec 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Fasano has been managing in the minors for the last three seasons. Oakland’s AA Eastern League affiliate, the New Hampshire Fisher Cats, last season. I think it’s fair to say that he is not in the best shape of his life.

Jeff Mathis was part Blue Jays’ package to the Marlins. Any void left Bard will be adequately filled by Mathis: Career 198/256/314, good for a 53 OPS+, 429 Ks in 1412 ABs. You won’t even notice the difference

11. Old Gator - Dec 19, 2012 at 2:10 PM

John Buck didn’t leave a gap. The London underground system has a gap (“Mind the gap!”). John Buck left a singularity.

• rayfeathers - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:36 PM

stop it oldgator. my sides are splitting. got many friends?

• Old Gator - Dec 20, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Yep, lots. Got literacy, or do you think it would clash with your terminal ignorance about everything else?

12. 13arod - Dec 19, 2012 at 3:01 PM

inge did good when oakland clamied him off wavers form the tigers

• historiophiliac - Dec 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Do you mean before he hurt himself again batting .180?

13. bbk1000 - Dec 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM

For those of you who know Francesa I remember him saying Inge was a better third baseman than Wright years ago…..which he never was…..what a dope….

14. digbysellers - Dec 19, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Old Gator is an old grouch

• Old Gator - Dec 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I’m so pissed off by that insensitive comment, I think I’m going to go out back and kick my pet Everglades panther right in the ass.

15. pipkin42 - Dec 20, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Jeff Conine played some 3B for those indomitable late-90s/early-2000s Orioles. I guess in between Tony Bautista sightings or something.

He’s Mr. Marline. Maybe he’ll come back?

• pipkin42 - Dec 20, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Ugh. Mr. Marlin. Always proofread. I tell my undergrads, yet I don’t do it myself.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3022)