Dec 19, 2012, 11:25 AM EST
Ramon Ortiz didn’t pitch in the majors this year, spending the whole season at Triple-A in the Yankees’ farm system, and now the 39-year-old right-hander has agreed to a minor league deal with the Blue Jays.
Toronto also signed journeyman outfielder Ryan Langerhans, who presumably has a much better chance than Ortiz of actually playing for the Blue Jays in 2013.
It’s amazing that Ortiz was able to have an 11-year career in the big leagues considering he had an ERA below 4.00 exactly one time, way back in 2002, and hasn’t posted an ERA below 4.43 since then. During that nine-season span he threw 837 innings with a 5.26 ERA, yet was employed by seven different MLB teams. Must be a helluva guy.
Langerhans is a good defensive outfielder with a career .226 batting average and .704 OPS in 593 games, but the 33-year-old hasn’t gotten more than 150 plate appearances in the majors since 2007.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 248
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (252)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)