Dec 19, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
Now the two sides have fully closed the gap.
According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Yankees and Ichiro officially inked a two-year, $13 million contract on Wednesday evening. It’s only pending a physical, which should go smoothly.
Ichiro batted .322/.340/.454 with five home runs, 27 RBI and 14 stolen bases in 67 games this past season for New York after coming over in a late-July trade from the Mariners. He’s a .322/.365/.419 career hitter in the major leagues.
The 39-year-old will start in right field and bat primarily at leadoff for the Bombers in 2013.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)