Dec 20, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of CBS Sports hears that Pierzynski’s one-year deal is worth $7.5 million.
5:31 PM: T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com says it’s a done deal, with the physical exam slated for tomorrow.
According to Rosenthal the deal is not yet agreed upon and would be pending a physical exam.
Texas has been looking for catching help since Mike Napoli left as a free agent and getting Pierzynski for a one-year commitment coming off a career-year would be a nice pickup given speculation that he was searching for multiple years.
At age 35 he’s highly unlikely to duplicate his 2012 numbers, which included 27 homers after never hitting more than 18 before, but even a return to his normal production would be a nice fit in the Rangers’ mostly right-handed lineup and they have a good platoon partner for Pierzynski in Geovany Soto.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 0
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 86
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 71
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 70
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 73
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)