Dec 20, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of CBS Sports hears that Pierzynski’s one-year deal is worth $7.5 million.
5:31 PM: T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com says it’s a done deal, with the physical exam slated for tomorrow.
According to Rosenthal the deal is not yet agreed upon and would be pending a physical exam.
Texas has been looking for catching help since Mike Napoli left as a free agent and getting Pierzynski for a one-year commitment coming off a career-year would be a nice pickup given speculation that he was searching for multiple years.
At age 35 he’s highly unlikely to duplicate his 2012 numbers, which included 27 homers after never hitting more than 18 before, but even a return to his normal production would be a nice fit in the Rangers’ mostly right-handed lineup and they have a good platoon partner for Pierzynski in Geovany Soto.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)