Dec 20, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of CBS Sports hears that Pierzynski’s one-year deal is worth $7.5 million.
5:31 PM: T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com says it’s a done deal, with the physical exam slated for tomorrow.
According to Rosenthal the deal is not yet agreed upon and would be pending a physical exam.
Texas has been looking for catching help since Mike Napoli left as a free agent and getting Pierzynski for a one-year commitment coming off a career-year would be a nice pickup given speculation that he was searching for multiple years.
At age 35 he’s highly unlikely to duplicate his 2012 numbers, which included 27 homers after never hitting more than 18 before, but even a return to his normal production would be a nice fit in the Rangers’ mostly right-handed lineup and they have a good platoon partner for Pierzynski in Geovany Soto.
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 0
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)