Dec 20, 2012, 10:53 AM EST
Gorzelanny, who was non-tendered by the Nationals three weeks ago, isn’t expected in town to take the physical exam until tomorrow, so Haudricourt reports that the deal may not be officially announced for a bit.
It’s unclear which role Gorzelanny will fill in Milwaukee after spending this year in Washington’s bullpen, where he had good success with a 2.88 ERA and 62/30 K/BB ratio in 72 innings. However, the Brewers could also use rotation help and the 29-year-old left-hander has a 4.61 ERA in 111 career starts.
His control is spotty and his fastball tops out in the low-90s, but Gorzelanny has 8.3 strikeouts per nine innings in 46 starts dating back to 2009 and isn’t totally helpless against right-handed hitters. No word yet on the money, but he’s a solid fourth or fifth starter if the Brewers choose to put him in the rotation.
UPDATE: Haudricourt says the Brewers plan to use Gorzelanny as a reliever.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 130
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 258
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (258)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)