Dec 20, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
Arizona announced a pair of coaching hires, adding Turner Ward as assistant hitting coach and Steve Sax as first base coach.
Don Baylor is the Diamondbacks’ primary hitting coach, but they’re joining the rapidly expanding list of teams with two people devoted to the job. Ward previously managed at Double-A in Arizona’s farm system.
Sax has never coached professionally before, but during his 14-year career the five-time All-Star second baseman was teammates with Kirk Gibson on the Dodgers. Steve Gilbert of MLB.com notes that Sax “worked in finance and made some television appearances” along with authoring a motivational book. He’ll replace Eric Young and as part of the job Sax will coach the Diamondbacks on baserunning.
General manager Kevin Towers told Gilbert that Sax was chosen over Triple-A manager Brett Butler, calling it “a tough decision, a hard decision.”
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)