Dec 20, 2012, 12:12 PM EST
Arizona announced a pair of coaching hires, adding Turner Ward as assistant hitting coach and Steve Sax as first base coach.
Don Baylor is the Diamondbacks’ primary hitting coach, but they’re joining the rapidly expanding list of teams with two people devoted to the job. Ward previously managed at Double-A in Arizona’s farm system.
Sax has never coached professionally before, but during his 14-year career the five-time All-Star second baseman was teammates with Kirk Gibson on the Dodgers. Steve Gilbert of MLB.com notes that Sax “worked in finance and made some television appearances” along with authoring a motivational book. He’ll replace Eric Young and as part of the job Sax will coach the Diamondbacks on baserunning.
General manager Kevin Towers told Gilbert that Sax was chosen over Triple-A manager Brett Butler, calling it “a tough decision, a hard decision.”
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Jonson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 0
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 99
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 44
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 33
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)