Dec 20, 2012, 8:57 AM EDT
Dodgers reliever Ronald Belisario, who was suspended for the entire 2011 season following a positive cocaine test, has been kicked off his winter ball team in Venezuela.
Belisario has been removed from the roster due to undisclosed disciplinary reasons and will not play for the remainder of the winter ball season, according to Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times.
Ultimas Noticias in Venezuela reports that Belisario asked for a personal leave of absence from the team and then did not return when scheduled, at which point they booted him. Belisario claims he returned when scheduled, but still got kicked off the team because he’d been having issues with the general manager.
Belisario was very effective for the Dodgers this past season, throwing 71 innings with a 2.54 ERA, but he was terrible in 2010 and missed all of 2011 on suspension. None of this should effect his status with the Dodgers.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)