Dec 20, 2012, 3:21 PM EDT
UPDATE: Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports that it’s a done deal at four years and $52 million, with an official announcement coming once Jackson passes a physical exam.
After failing to land a huge contract as a free agent last offseason Jackson opted for a one-year, $11 million deal from the Nationals, who oddly did not make him a one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offer that would have guaranteed them a first-round draft pick when he signed elsewhere. Instead the Nationals replaced him with Dan Haren for one year, $13 million and will now let Jackson walk for nothing.
Jackson’s numbers were similar to 2011, but for whatever reason he drew significantly more interest this time around. His overall production and strikeout rates have never quite matched his raw stuff, but Jackson’s started at least 30 games in six straight seasons despite being just 29 years old.
During the past three seasons he made 94 starts and threw 599 innings with a 4.10 ERA. Over that same period Anibal Sanchez–who the Cubs reportedly thought they had signed for five years and $75 million–made 95 starts and threw 587 innings with a 3.70 ERA. Given those numbers and the fact that Sanchez was helped by more pitcher-friendly environments $52 million for Jackson seems reasonable after Sanchez got $80 million from the Tigers.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)