Marlins sign Placido Polanco to one-year contract

Dec 20, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT

Placido Polanco Getty Images

UPDATE: It’s now official.

==========

Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports that the Marlins are close to signing Placido Polanco to a one-year, $2.75 million deal, which I suppose beats the other two old, not-very-good third basemen they were linked to yesterday: Miguel Tejada and Brandon Inge.

Polanco is 37 years old and has missed 112 of a possible 324 games during the past two seasons while hitting just .269 with a .323 on-base percentage and .334 slugging percentage. He hasn’t topped a .750 OPS since 2008.

Of course, most of the other available free agent third basemen are even less appealing and, if healthy, Polanco might still be capable of hitting .280 with a decent on-base percentage and above-average defense. Given his age and back problems that doesn’t seem particularly likely, but $2.75 million is a reasonable enough price tag and it’s not like the Marlins are trying to win anything in 2013 anyway.

1. hisgirlgotburrelled - Dec 20, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Great fielding 3B, too.

• Francisco (FC) - Dec 20, 2012 at 11:44 AM

… when Healthy yes.

2. albertmn - Dec 20, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I know it is just the business of professional sports, and we often become somewhat immune to what the prices mean. Many of us (including me) can look at that and think $2.75 million isn’t too much for a gamble. At my current salary, with average raises, it would take me about the next 38 years to make that.

3. historiophiliac - Dec 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Noooooo! Take Inge! Take Inge!

• proudlycanadian - Dec 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM

That is like saying saying “Take my ex please”! Noooooobody wants Inge.

• historiophiliac - Dec 20, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Exactly.

(But it also gives me another season to pick on him. :) )

4. darthicarus - Dec 20, 2012 at 12:07 PM

This is a really BIG move for the Marlins. I like how they SIZED up the available options & decided that Polanco would be a HEAD smart move over Inge or Tejada. ENORMOUS deal for a player of with such a solid HEAD on his shoulders.

• deathmonkey41 - Dec 20, 2012 at 1:36 PM

It certainly would have put them HEAD and shoulders over where they were a few weeks ago, but just being aHEAD of the curve at this point in the offseason isn’t going to give you a GIGANTIC advantage over any of the other teams.

• deathmonkey41 - Dec 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM

5. Old Gator - Dec 20, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I guess Polanco can give the Iron Giant some protection in the lineup. He can get hit by the pitches that might have hit Giancarlo instead.

6. ryanrockzzz - Dec 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM

LOL….I want to make 2 million dollars for not being able to hit a ball past the infield, along with missing over half my games. I could so do that…..or maybe they just signed him because on his off days they just want his huge head for that bobblehead collection in the stadium….who knows.

7. thejotapee - Dec 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Championship!

8. timpaz - Dec 20, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I can’t believe how many washed up third basemen keep getting jobs, aren’t there any young third basemen in. the minors better than this?

9. historiophiliac - Dec 20, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Noooooooo!!!!!!!

10. FrustratedDolFan - Dec 20, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Posted similar comment yesterday. I can’t believe they can’t trade for an up and coming prospect. They know they can’t attract any free agents W.A.S. because of their tract record. Please Mark Cuban rescue this franchise!

• Old Gator - Dec 20, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I get it. Mark Cuban. South Florida. Cuban. Hahahahah….

If only, if only. But I doubt he’d make it to the beach before the Coast Guard spotted him.

11. fanofevilempire - Dec 20, 2012 at 4:55 PM

always liked his name.

• Old Gator - Dec 20, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Placido Polanco.

It’d work better for a tango singer than a ballplayer, I think.

12. scratchnsniffnblog - Dec 21, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Agreed. Only the Marlins would sign one of the Three Tenors to play a bass.

• Old Gator - Dec 21, 2012 at 9:16 AM

ackcherley, the Feesh have a “Latino only” hiring policy – they think that Latin Americans are so gullible that they’ll gut their wallets and swarm the stadium if Scrooge McLoria fills it with hermanos, no matter how badly they perform.

Whereas in Macondo this trick once worked for a while where pilots were concerned, it ended up pretty badly, and then you saw what happened last season – and now it won’t work for beisbol anymore.

13. mrbiz8505 - Dec 21, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Polanco is trying to cover up his alien head in that picture

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3320)