Dec 20, 2012, 9:32 PM EDT
The Mets jumped at the chance to trade R.A. Dickey to the Blue Jays earlier this week in exchange for catchers Travis d’Arnaud and John Buck, prospect right-hander Noah Syndergaard and prospect outfielder Wuilmer Becerra. While it’s a tall order, they now need to find a way to replace the 2012 NL Cy Young Award winner in their starting rotation.
With that in mind, Ken Davidoff of the New York Post reports that the Mets have reached out to the agents for Francisco Liriano and Carl Pavano, among “many others.” Liriano, 29, had a 5.34 ERA and 167/87 K/BB ratio over 156 2/3 innings this past season between the Twins and White Sox. Pavano will likely come cheaper after being limited to just six starts in 2012 due to a nagging shoulder injury.
As of now, Johan Santana, Jon Niese, Matt Harvey and Dillon Gee are locks for the starting rotation while young arms like Jenrry Mejia, Jeremy Hefner and Collin McHugh are among the internal candidates for the fifth spot. Santana and Gee are both coming off injuries and Harvey has never pitched a full season in the majors, so chances are they’ll add a veteran arm, even if it’s just as simple as bringing back Chris Young. The hope is that prospect right-hander Zack Wheeler will be ready to take a rotation spot at some point in 2013.
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 1
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 45
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (144)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)