Must-click link: American League East soccer jerseys

Dec 20, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT

click here bigger

Mark Willis is a website designer/artist who also writes about soccer and he put those talents to work creating hypothetical soccer jerseys (or kits, if you want to act like you’re a soccer fan or something) for all the American League East teams.

Here’s a sample of the back of Wilson Betemit‘s Orioles jersey:

source:

They’re really cool looking and his explanations are very interesting too, so check them out:

Soccer out of context: The AL East

1. hisgirlgotburrelled - Dec 20, 2012 at 1:01 PM

The Toronto jersey looks like an 80’s throwback. Definitely the best one.

He calls jerseys kits. I’m not on board with that… Soccer always trying to be different.

• historiophiliac - Dec 20, 2012 at 1:04 PM

When my nephew sniffs that he is a mid-fielder after I call him a half-back, I remind him that I saw Pele play in person.

• vincentmoonoir - Dec 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I enjoy the Rays one the best. I’m sure that those kits would look great running around on the pitch down in Tampa/St. Pete.

• cosanostra71 - Dec 20, 2012 at 1:27 PM

No recognition of the Jays’ two Series wins?

2. historiophiliac - Dec 20, 2012 at 1:02 PM

East Coast bias!

3. stabonerichard - Dec 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Some content was stripped by our security filters, but is should be possible for one of your Editors to embed the content for you.

4. cur68 - Dec 20, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Beaver Men Kit was definitely the best. Awesome use of the Roots Beaver logo. Entirely appropriate.

• historiophiliac - Dec 20, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Agreed, but only because there was no Tigers version to compare.

• cur68 - Dec 20, 2012 at 2:54 PM

It’d pretty much have to say “Verlander” across the back, no? Only because if it said “Fielder” across the back the irony would be heavy. Still, if it DID say “Fielder” then they could have Swanson as their heavyweight sponsor. They make “Hungry Man” meals, right? Now that I think about it, I want one of these Tiger’s Kits.

• historiophiliac - Dec 20, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Why are you so angry, Beav? Do you need a little Dickey today?

• cur68 - Dec 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Angry? No way. This here be boredom-trolling. See how I made a food related troll? This way you can make a dessert crack and I’ll roll with a bread-pudding-is-awful quip. Next thing we know it’ll be 4PM and time to get away from this computer for a while.

And, for the record, My Boys have all the Dickey allowed under MLB rules and regulations.

Say, are you looking forward to Dickey v Fister? One throws with an unnatural grip and the other is an unnatural act. This should be a pitching duel unseen since Johnson v Wang.

• historiophiliac - Dec 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I am unfamiliar w/ the Dickey rule but will defer to you as an expert on that. Perhaps I should just hope for Smyly-Dickey then.

5. paint771 - Dec 20, 2012 at 2:00 PM

If that guys sells the Blue Jays jersey, I would buy the HELL out of it.

MLB take note!

6. royhobbs39 - Dec 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM

MLB should contact this guy. (Don’t try to do it yourself MLB. You’ll only screw it up.) A) These things look cool. B) Good way to appeal to a new demographic.

• jashton11 - Dec 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM

MLB really could make some good money off of those. I know I’d be interested in buying one of the Rays’ jerseys. I’m pretty sure you’d see these catch on with some of the players who are soccer fans, too.

7. blues1988 - Dec 20, 2012 at 2:25 PM

i would love it if they made one for every team! being able to show off that the cardinals are the best national league team in history, alone would make it worth the buy.

8. Francisco (FC) - Dec 20, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I have to be honest, I would very much like to see MLB use uniforms like these occasionally just to see them in action. I’ve seen lots of posts on uniforms and it seems like most people are stuck on the classic “White at home, Gray on the road” tradition (Also, what’s wrong with black folks?). I’ve read how people don’t like solid color jerseys and so on. But it seems to me there’s room for plenty of creativity.

• indaburg - Dec 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Nothing wrong with black folks. Some of my good friends are black.

I agree that some creativity in this area would be cool to see. I’m surprised MLB doesn’t offer soccer style jerseys for sale to the fans. I’d get one.

9. cur68 - Dec 20, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Also, what’s wrong with black folks?

I’ll tell you what’s wrong with us: The Man keeping us down, is what.

(I many fail on spelling “dessert” but I know why a comma needs to go between “black & “folks” 8) ).

• historiophiliac - Dec 20, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Awww, you beat me to it. :(

• cur68 - Dec 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Get used to that.

• historiophiliac - Dec 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I used to like Canadians…

• Francisco (FC) - Dec 20, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Yeah that was a doozy… Although I’m still trying to figure out if you’re saying you may fail or if you fail many times…

• historiophiliac - Dec 20, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Clearly, that’s: many times. lol

• cur68 - Dec 20, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Wrong again. Its “both”.

10. sometimesimisscandlestick - Dec 20, 2012 at 3:56 PM

What is this “soccer” of which you speak?

• historiophiliac - Dec 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM

futbol

11. Carl Hancock - Dec 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Someone seriously needs to make these, minus the advertiser/sponsors associated with soccer teams. These are nice looking. If anyone at an MLB licensed apparel company is reading… run with this idea. I’d love me a Cardinals jersey.

12. Francisco (FC) - Dec 21, 2012 at 11:54 AM