Dec 20, 2012, 8:06 PM EST
The Tigers lost one potential suitor for Rick Porcello after the Angels acquired left-hander Jason Vargas from the Mariners yesterday, but the young right-hander is still drawing plenty of interest around the majors.
FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Mariners and Orioles are among the teams who have talked to the Tigers about a possible trade involving Porcello. Morosi reported earlier today that the Orioles are in talks with free agent left-hander Joe Saunders, so Porcello would represent an alternative track. If the Mariners don’t find a replacement for Vargas via trade or free agency, they could give Blake Beavan a rotation spot until one of their youngsters are ready.
Porcello, who turns 24 next week, owns a 4.55 ERA over his first four seasons in the majors. The 2007 first-round pick earned $3.1 million this past season while posting a 4.59 ERA and 107/44 K/BB ratio over 176 1/3 innings. He’s on track to get another raise in arbitration this winter and remains under team control through 2014.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)