Dec 20, 2012, 8:06 PM EDT
The Tigers lost one potential suitor for Rick Porcello after the Angels acquired left-hander Jason Vargas from the Mariners yesterday, but the young right-hander is still drawing plenty of interest around the majors.
FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Mariners and Orioles are among the teams who have talked to the Tigers about a possible trade involving Porcello. Morosi reported earlier today that the Orioles are in talks with free agent left-hander Joe Saunders, so Porcello would represent an alternative track. If the Mariners don’t find a replacement for Vargas via trade or free agency, they could give Blake Beavan a rotation spot until one of their youngsters are ready.
Porcello, who turns 24 next week, owns a 4.55 ERA over his first four seasons in the majors. The 2007 first-round pick earned $3.1 million this past season while posting a 4.59 ERA and 107/44 K/BB ratio over 176 1/3 innings. He’s on track to get another raise in arbitration this winter and remains under team control through 2014.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)