Dec 20, 2012, 8:06 PM EDT
The Tigers lost one potential suitor for Rick Porcello after the Angels acquired left-hander Jason Vargas from the Mariners yesterday, but the young right-hander is still drawing plenty of interest around the majors.
FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Mariners and Orioles are among the teams who have talked to the Tigers about a possible trade involving Porcello. Morosi reported earlier today that the Orioles are in talks with free agent left-hander Joe Saunders, so Porcello would represent an alternative track. If the Mariners don’t find a replacement for Vargas via trade or free agency, they could give Blake Beavan a rotation spot until one of their youngsters are ready.
Porcello, who turns 24 next week, owns a 4.55 ERA over his first four seasons in the majors. The 2007 first-round pick earned $3.1 million this past season while posting a 4.59 ERA and 107/44 K/BB ratio over 176 1/3 innings. He’s on track to get another raise in arbitration this winter and remains under team control through 2014.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 21
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 117
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)