Dec 20, 2012, 6:45 PM EST
With Lucas Duda, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Mike Baxter and the newly-acquired Collin Cowgill as the top internal options on their 40-man roster, the Mets don’t have a legitimate everyday outfielder at this point. Now they are looking at someone who hasn’t played in the majors since September 22, 2011.
SNY’s Kevin Burkhardt hears that the Mets are “very interested” in free agent outfielder Grady Sizemore. The 30-year-old didn’t play at all with the Indians in 2012 and is expected to be out until midseason next year following microfracture surgery on his right knee in September, so patience will be required by any team that signs him. The Mets aren’t expected to contend in 2013, so they might be one of those clubs willing to roll the dice on a possible rebound.
Sizemore was once one of the game’s brightest young stars, but he has missed 382 of a possible 486 games over the past three seasons. After having microfracture surgery on both of his knees since 2010, his days as a center fielder are likely over. Chances are he’ll have to settle for a one-year deal with a low guarantee or possibly a minor league deal.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)