Dec 20, 2012, 6:45 PM EDT
With Lucas Duda, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Mike Baxter and the newly-acquired Collin Cowgill as the top internal options on their 40-man roster, the Mets don’t have a legitimate everyday outfielder at this point. Now they are looking at someone who hasn’t played in the majors since September 22, 2011.
SNY’s Kevin Burkhardt hears that the Mets are “very interested” in free agent outfielder Grady Sizemore. The 30-year-old didn’t play at all with the Indians in 2012 and is expected to be out until midseason next year following microfracture surgery on his right knee in September, so patience will be required by any team that signs him. The Mets aren’t expected to contend in 2013, so they might be one of those clubs willing to roll the dice on a possible rebound.
Sizemore was once one of the game’s brightest young stars, but he has missed 382 of a possible 486 games over the past three seasons. After having microfracture surgery on both of his knees since 2010, his days as a center fielder are likely over. Chances are he’ll have to settle for a one-year deal with a low guarantee or possibly a minor league deal.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (203)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)