Dec 21, 2012, 8:37 AM EDT
Casey McGehee‘s rapid decline has led to the 30-year-old heading to Japan.
As recently as 2010 he hit .285 with 23 homers and 104 RBIs for the Brewers, but McGehee has hit just .221 with a .632 OPS in 269 games since then, bouncing from the Brewers to the Pirates to the Yankees in the process.
Given the relatively modest payday in Japan it seems obvious that he couldn’t find a guaranteed major-league job for 2013, so he chose Rakuten over competing for a bench gig on a minor-league deal.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1