Dec 21, 2012, 6:36 PM EDT
The bidding war wasn’t enough to get Scott Kazmir a major league contract, but there was considerable interest in the left-hander after a fine month in Puerto Rico and the Indians signed him to a minor league deal on Friday, according to The Plain Dealer’s Paul Hoynes
Kazmir was 0-2 with a 4.37 ERA for Carolina in Puerto Rico, but it came with a nice 27/8 K/BB ratio and just one homer allowed in 22 2/3 innings.
The soon-to-be 29-year-old Kazmir hasn’t pitched in the majors since getting lit up by the Royals on April 3, 2011. The Angels quickly stashed him on the DL, and he went 0-5 with a 17.02 ERA in Triple-A before receiving his release. He opened 2012 out of baseball, only to later sign with the independent Sugar Land Skeeters and go 3-6 with a 5.34 ERA in 14 starts.
Kazmir figures to open 2013 in the rotation at Triple-A, but the Indians won’t keep him there long if he impresses. If he’s recovered some of his lost velocity, he could help at the back of the rotation.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights