Dec 21, 2012, 6:19 PM EST
Bonderman hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2010 and required Tommy John surgery this April, but he’s gearing up for a comeback at the age of 30. The 2001 first-round pick owns a 4.89 ERA over eight seasons in the majors, all with the Tigers. His former club also expressed an interest in him this winter, but he ultimately opted to sign with his home state Mariners.
Bonderman hasn’t really been healthy and effective in the same season since he posted a 4.08 ERA over 34 starts in his age-23 season back in 2006, so the odds are against him after two full seasons out of the game and an elbow reconstruction. But there’s no harm in taking a flier.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (123)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)