Dec 21, 2012, 6:19 PM EST
Bonderman hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2010 and required Tommy John surgery this April, but he’s gearing up for a comeback at the age of 30. The 2001 first-round pick owns a 4.89 ERA over eight seasons in the majors, all with the Tigers. His former club also expressed an interest in him this winter, but he ultimately opted to sign with his home state Mariners.
Bonderman hasn’t really been healthy and effective in the same season since he posted a 4.08 ERA over 34 starts in his age-23 season back in 2006, so the odds are against him after two full seasons out of the game and an elbow reconstruction. But there’s no harm in taking a flier.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)