Dec 21, 2012, 10:10 AM EDT
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said previously that he’d like a decision from free agent Adam LaRoche before Christmas, but Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com writes that the two sides haven’t made any real progress in weeks.
According to Zuckerman “there’s little reason to believe a resolution is near” because LaRoche continues to want a three-year deal and the Nationals continue to stick with their initial two-year, $25 million offer.
Part of the issue is that no other teams have stepped forward with major interest in LaRoche, or at least not major interest in LaRoche for three years at age 33 and at the cost of surrendering their first-round draft pick.
Because of that there’s been little pressure on the Nationals to increase their offer and the fact that they also have Michael Morse around as a fallback plan at first base makes them even less likely to cave to LaRoche’s demands.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (70)