Dec 21, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
Harden missed all of last season following shoulder surgery and hasn’t had an ERA below 5.00 since 2009, so much of the upside he once possessed has vanished, but he’s still just 31 years old and had good strikeout totals even while performing poorly overall in 2010 and 2011.
At some point it would make sense for a team to see if Harden can stay healthy and effective as a full-time reliever, but that hasn’t happened yet and the Twins figure to give him an opportunity to win a spot in their rebuilt rotation. Don’t count on it happening, but for a no-risk minor-league deal he’s a decent flier to take.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)