Dec 22, 2012, 8:59 AM EST
The Athletics have been trying to move to San Jose for a long time now, but with the Giants’ territorial rights continuing to stand in the way, they are ready to make some temporary concessions. According to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle, A’s owner Lew Wolff is seeking a new five-year lease to keep the team at the Coliseum.
“I stress that the A’s organization certainly prefers to remain in Oakland for the next five years rather than being forced into looking elsewhere for a temporary home venue,” Wolff wrote in a Friday letter to the Coliseum’s Join Powers Authority, among others, which was obtained by The Chronicle.
“If possible, we should retain the 130 full-time jobs and the almost 800 union jobs that encompass a full baseball season, the fun of the A’s, and Major League Baseball in Oakland for five more years.”
The A’s current lease at the Coliseum expires after next season, so a new five-year lease would keep the club in Oakland until 2018. This doesn’t mean Wolff has given up on the idea of eventually moving to San Jose, as he told the Chronicle that the club would likely have a lot of work to do on a potential move even if it was approved right now. While it sounds like a negotiating tactic more than anything else, Wolff says he has “options” for a temporary venue if a new lease can’t be worked out at the Coliseum.
The Athletics have played at the Coliseum since moving from Kansas City in 1968.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)