Dec 22, 2012, 10:10 AM EDT
UPDATE: Marc Carig of New York Newsday reports that the Mets have also discussed Saunders as an option to replace R.A. Dickey. However, it’s not clear whether they have spoken with his agent or if they are willing to go to multiple years in order to sign him.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, Saunders is also talking to the Mariners and Padres. The Pirates were involved at one point, but they are likely out after reaching a two-year, $12.75 million contract with left-hander Francisco Liriano yesterday.
Saunders, 31, had a 4.07 ERA and 112/39 K/BB ratio in 174 2/3 innings this past season between the Diamondbacks and Orioles. With a 4.15 ERA over eight seasons in the majors, his numbers compare favorably to Joe Blanton, who recently agreed to a two-year, $15 million contract with the Angels.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (121)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (110)