Dec 22, 2012, 10:10 AM EDT
UPDATE: Marc Carig of New York Newsday reports that the Mets have also discussed Saunders as an option to replace R.A. Dickey. However, it’s not clear whether they have spoken with his agent or if they are willing to go to multiple years in order to sign him.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, Saunders is also talking to the Mariners and Padres. The Pirates were involved at one point, but they are likely out after reaching a two-year, $12.75 million contract with left-hander Francisco Liriano yesterday.
Saunders, 31, had a 4.07 ERA and 112/39 K/BB ratio in 174 2/3 innings this past season between the Diamondbacks and Orioles. With a 4.15 ERA over eight seasons in the majors, his numbers compare favorably to Joe Blanton, who recently agreed to a two-year, $15 million contract with the Angels.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)