Dec 22, 2012, 10:04 PM EST
“On December 26th I’m going to fly to Houston,” Lopez told reporters on Saturday in his native Venezuela. “Nothing is firm yet, but I might have to stop playing (in the Venezuelan winter leagues). Everything depends on the physical exams.”
Lopez batted just .246/.270/.356 with four homers and 28 RBI in 81 games this past season between the Indians and White Sox. The 29-year-old has not been a productive major leaguer since 2009, when he slugged 25 home runs in 153 games as the Mariners’ starting second baseman. His career on-base percentage is just .292.
Which is why this deal with the Astros will be probably be of the non-guaranteed minor league variety.
UPDATE: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman says there’s “nothing going on” between the Astros and Lopez.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)