Must-click link: Dale Murphy’s AMA chat

Dec 22, 2012, 3:00 PM EST

click here bigger

Hall of Fame hopeful Dale Murphy took part in an AMA (Ask Me Anything) chat on Reddit yesterday. There’s some really interesting stuff in there, ranging from thoughts on his playing career to sabermetrics and the new Wild Card play-in game.

It’s a must-read for anyone who followed Murphy’s career, but I was mostly struck by his reply to a question about his favorite music artists. Who knew he was such a hipster? Although, if Murphy wants to get on the good side of most baseball writers, he should have just answered Springsteen.

Dale Murphy AMA chat

1. cur68 - Dec 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Yep. Dale Murphy’s still awesome.

2. paperlions - Dec 22, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I did not see the “Chocolate Rain” response coming.

3. mrfap626 - Dec 23, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I met Dale Murphy years ago when Atlanta was in town to play the Dodgers. I picked him up at the hotel and drove him to the City of Hope to visit some kids in the cancer ward. On the way back to the hotel we stopped at a home where one kid was close to death. This kid had to be Dale’s biggest fan. I’ll never forget how this kid came out of a depression when he was told Dale Murphy came by to visit him. He was carried out in his mothers arms to meet his idol. Sadly the boy passed away a couple days later. The parents had to sell everything they owned to help pay the doctors bills. Later I learned Dale Murphy made a great monetary gift to the family to help out. I’ll always remember Dale Murphy for his generosity

4. charlutes - Dec 23, 2012 at 2:15 PM

AMA stands for Avid Media Access.

5. Detroit Michael - Dec 23, 2012 at 5:11 PM

At the risk of asking a stupid question, can someone post a link to the interview? All I see are a bunch of comments, not the interview that Craig recommends, when I click on the link.

• cur68 - Dec 23, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Its not an interview, as such. Just Q & A in a blog style sort of like this one. If you click on the link below the question asked of Murphy you’ll see his reply. Its the link labeled “load more comments”. Worth it for his answers.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester