Dec 23, 2012, 7:47 PM EST
Although he lost his fastball years ago and was unable to find a rotation spot last season, free agent Livan Hernandez wants to keep on pitching in 2013.
RHP Livan Hernandez plans to play big-league baseball in 2013. His goal is to reach 200 victories. He has 178 victories entering '13. #MLB—
William Ladson (@washingnats) December 23, 2012
So, yeah, 200 is a big long shot for the “37-year-old” right-hander. Hernandez spent 2012 as a reliever for the Braves and Brewers and finished with a 6.42 ERA in 67 1/3 innings. It’s not quite as bad as it sounds; he gave up 11 of his 31 runs in his last two appearances, both of which came following long layoffs in September. Still, even throwing that out, he was a mop-up man with a 5.05 ERA. At least he did go 4-1.
Hernandez is currently sixth on the active wins list. The current leader, Jamie Moyer (269), is likewise iffy to get a job next year, while No. 2 on the list, Andy Pettitte (245), has already retired and come back. The only righties ahead of Hernandez are Roy Halladay (199) and Tim Hudson (197). CC Sabathia (191) is in fifth place.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)