Dec 23, 2012, 7:47 PM EDT
Although he lost his fastball years ago and was unable to find a rotation spot last season, free agent Livan Hernandez wants to keep on pitching in 2013.
RHP Livan Hernandez plans to play big-league baseball in 2013. His goal is to reach 200 victories. He has 178 victories entering '13. #MLB—
William Ladson (@washingnats) December 23, 2012
So, yeah, 200 is a big long shot for the “37-year-old” right-hander. Hernandez spent 2012 as a reliever for the Braves and Brewers and finished with a 6.42 ERA in 67 1/3 innings. It’s not quite as bad as it sounds; he gave up 11 of his 31 runs in his last two appearances, both of which came following long layoffs in September. Still, even throwing that out, he was a mop-up man with a 5.05 ERA. At least he did go 4-1.
Hernandez is currently sixth on the active wins list. The current leader, Jamie Moyer (269), is likewise iffy to get a job next year, while No. 2 on the list, Andy Pettitte (245), has already retired and come back. The only righties ahead of Hernandez are Roy Halladay (199) and Tim Hudson (197). CC Sabathia (191) is in fifth place.
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 15
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (110)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)