Dec 23, 2012, 2:02 PM EDT
Instead of buying an ad in a paper to say his goodbye to Mets fans, knuckleballer R.A. Dickey penned an entire column.
Here’s a snippet from the New York Daily News:
I may not pitch for the home team anymore (a friend told me I now have to start calling myself a Canuckleball pitcher ) but wherever I go from here — wherever I might wind up in the future — I hope you know that I will never forget my three years in New York, and never be able to adequately thank you for everything you’ve given me.
The entire thing is worth reading, whether you’re a Mets fan or not.
Dickey wound up posting a 2.95 ERA and 1.15 WHIP in 616 2/3 total innings for his now-former team. He was the 2012 Cy Young Award winner in the National League.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 14
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 101
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 159
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (159)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)