Dec 23, 2012, 12:50 PM EST
The Diamondbacks signed Cody Ross to a three-year, $26 million free agent contract on Saturday afternoon and now have to trade an outfielder to free up enough playing time for him. Justin Upton is apparently still on the block, but it could be Jason Kubel who ultimately winds up packing his bags.
CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler reports that the White Sox “have talked about” Kubel, who slugged 30 home runs alongside an .833 OPS for Arizona in 2012.
The 30-year-old signed a two-year, $15 million contract last offseason. He’s owed $7.5 million in 2013 and carries a $7.5 million club option for 2014.
If Kubel is indeed dealt, the D’Backs would start Ross in left, Upton in right and Adam Eaton in center.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 30
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 30
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)