Dec 23, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks signed Cody Ross to a three-year, $26 million free agent contract on Saturday afternoon and now have to trade an outfielder to free up enough playing time for him. Justin Upton is apparently still on the block, but it could be Jason Kubel who ultimately winds up packing his bags.
CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler reports that the White Sox “have talked about” Kubel, who slugged 30 home runs alongside an .833 OPS for Arizona in 2012.
The 30-year-old signed a two-year, $15 million contract last offseason. He’s owed $7.5 million in 2013 and carries a $7.5 million club option for 2014.
If Kubel is indeed dealt, the D’Backs would start Ross in left, Upton in right and Adam Eaton in center.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 2
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 21
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)