Dec 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Milwaukee is expected to go with Jean Segura as its starting shortstop after acquiring him from the Angels in the Zack Greinke trade and the 23-year-old just won the Dominican Winter League batting title.
Now, it’s only 35 games against uneven competition, so it doesn’t exactly guarantee success against big-league pitchers in 2013, but Segura hit .324 and also ranked second in the DWL with 11 steals.
Segura held his own in 44 games with the Brewers as a rookie, hitting .261 with a .321 on-base percentage and seven steals, and while lacking power he has a chance to be a very solid all-around shortstop.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 4
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 11
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (87)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (75)