Dec 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Milwaukee is expected to go with Jean Segura as its starting shortstop after acquiring him from the Angels in the Zack Greinke trade and the 23-year-old just won the Dominican Winter League batting title.
Now, it’s only 35 games against uneven competition, so it doesn’t exactly guarantee success against big-league pitchers in 2013, but Segura hit .324 and also ranked second in the DWL with 11 steals.
Segura held his own in 44 games with the Brewers as a rookie, hitting .261 with a .321 on-base percentage and seven steals, and while lacking power he has a chance to be a very solid all-around shortstop.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)