Dec 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Milwaukee is expected to go with Jean Segura as its starting shortstop after acquiring him from the Angels in the Zack Greinke trade and the 23-year-old just won the Dominican Winter League batting title.
Now, it’s only 35 games against uneven competition, so it doesn’t exactly guarantee success against big-league pitchers in 2013, but Segura hit .324 and also ranked second in the DWL with 11 steals.
Segura held his own in 44 games with the Brewers as a rookie, hitting .261 with a .321 on-base percentage and seven steals, and while lacking power he has a chance to be a very solid all-around shortstop.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 25
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)