Dec 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Milwaukee is expected to go with Jean Segura as its starting shortstop after acquiring him from the Angels in the Zack Greinke trade and the 23-year-old just won the Dominican Winter League batting title.
Now, it’s only 35 games against uneven competition, so it doesn’t exactly guarantee success against big-league pitchers in 2013, but Segura hit .324 and also ranked second in the DWL with 11 steals.
Segura held his own in 44 games with the Brewers as a rookie, hitting .261 with a .321 on-base percentage and seven steals, and while lacking power he has a chance to be a very solid all-around shortstop.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)