Dec 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Milwaukee is expected to go with Jean Segura as its starting shortstop after acquiring him from the Angels in the Zack Greinke trade and the 23-year-old just won the Dominican Winter League batting title.
Now, it’s only 35 games against uneven competition, so it doesn’t exactly guarantee success against big-league pitchers in 2013, but Segura hit .324 and also ranked second in the DWL with 11 steals.
Segura held his own in 44 games with the Brewers as a rookie, hitting .261 with a .321 on-base percentage and seven steals, and while lacking power he has a chance to be a very solid all-around shortstop.
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness