Derek Lowe is looking for a team that will let him start

Dec 24, 2012, 11:40 AM EDT

Derek Lowe Getty Images

Despite finishing the year in the Yankees’ bullpen Derek Lowe said at the beginning of the offseason that he wanted to be a starter in 2013 and apparently he’s sticking with that plan.

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that Lowe “has heard from five teams, all of which want him to be a swingman” and is currently turning down those inquiries.

“I want to be a starter and feel I have a lot left in being a regular starter in a rotation and making my 30-plus starts,” Lowe told Cafardo. “I can still do that. It’s frustrating to see other starters who have come off injuries get a shot, and I’ve never been hurt and can still help a team. I’m sure things will get going for me in January. I want to pitch. I’m nowhere near ready to retire.”

Lowe is right about the never being injured and always making 30 starts thing. He made 30-plus starts every season from 2002-2011 and likely would have done so this year if he hadn’t been bumped from the rotation for performance reasons. Of course, that’s not exactly a positive thing and during the past two seasons Lowe has a 17-27 record and 5.23 ERA in 55 starts while managing just 5.2 strikeouts per nine innings.

At some point health and durability cease being valuable for a pitcher when he can’t get hitters out any longer and teams seem to think Lowe has reached that point at age 39. If he does get a chance to start in 2013 it will almost surely come via minor-league contract.

1. tfbuckfutter - Dec 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I’m sure The Long Island Ducks have an open spot in their rotation.

• abaird2012 - Dec 24, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Astros.

2. pisano - Dec 24, 2012 at 12:34 PM

He was used just about right by the Yankees last year, anymore than that and I don’t think he would have been all that effective. If you keep his innings down he’ll be passable, if his innings go up so will his era.

3. billyboots - Dec 24, 2012 at 12:54 PM

The Twins haven’t signed him yet because?

• zzalapski - Dec 24, 2012 at 5:49 PM

He’s too durable.

• tuberippin - Dec 24, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Too many strikeouts.

4. randygnyc - Dec 24, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Marlins, Astros and the Indians could all use an innings eater.

5. byjiminy - Dec 24, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I know, right? I mean, all the boxes are checked!

✔ 5+ ERA
    ✔ 5.2 strikeouts per nine
    ✔ Totally over the hill, and therefore cheap, but…
    ✔ Well-known name makes him sound sorta plausible
    ✔ Gaping hole in the rotation so big a drunk could accidentally stumble through IT and wind up with a job

WHY IS THIS MAN NOT ALREADY A TWIN???

• protius - Dec 24, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I heard Ruben Amaro, Jr. is sleeping on his door stoop.

6. joeyashwi - Dec 24, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I was going to make a Twins comment also. I see I’m not alone in my tonight process. I’m thinking his ERA was too low for the Twins to be interested.

7. joeyashwi - Dec 24, 2012 at 4:42 PM

*thought process.

8. uscthom78 - Dec 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM

His ex wife and kids have no sympathy for homewreckerdestroyer.

9. dayaman - Dec 25, 2012 at 10:48 PM

cubs should make a run at him,wat the hell do they got to lose but about another hundred games or years.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS