Dec 24, 2012, 9:15 AM EST
John Maine hasn’t pitched in the bigs since he had shoulder surgery in July of 2010. He pitched pretty poorly for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre last season and in Colorado Springs the season before. At times he has contemplated retirement and, at other times, it seems like teams had decided to make that decision for him.
But he’s giving it another shot: The Marlins have signed him to a minor league deal. It’d be something to see him make it back. And I suppose if he has a chance to make it back anyplace it’s for a team that has basically punted winning, eschews anything approaching big salaries and plays in a pitcher’s park. But really, the chances of Maine making it back are not great.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)