Dec 24, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik went on the radio in Seattle last week and said that the team made a legit shot at signing Josh Hamilton. This followed a couple weeks of reports that, yes indeed, the Mariners had been working hard to get him. There was apparently the framework of a deal in place, awaiting only the Rangers to make a move or not before the M’s could swoop in. But then the Angels swooped, rendering it all rather academic.
Not so, says Josh Hamilton. Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports:
This one may never get entirely resolved, but for what it’s worth, Josh Hamilton went on the syndicated radio and TV program The Dan Patrick Show on Friday and gave an interview in which he was asked about the process that led to his signing a five-year, $125 million deal with the Los Angeles Angels. Towards the 10-minute, 30-second mark, he was asked by Patrick whether the Mariners had made “a strong play” for him.
“No, not really,” Hamilton said. “I mean, they were just like some other teams. You hear about Seattle but other teams, you didn’t hear about.”
Academic, I suppose. Except, if the Mariners truly did make a strong offer and push to sign Hamilton and he’s now saying they didn’t, it’s not exactly fair to Seattle, which is trying to overcome a perception that it’s no place a superstar wants to be.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 18
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)