Dec 24, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik went on the radio in Seattle last week and said that the team made a legit shot at signing Josh Hamilton. This followed a couple weeks of reports that, yes indeed, the Mariners had been working hard to get him. There was apparently the framework of a deal in place, awaiting only the Rangers to make a move or not before the M’s could swoop in. But then the Angels swooped, rendering it all rather academic.
Not so, says Josh Hamilton. Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports:
This one may never get entirely resolved, but for what it’s worth, Josh Hamilton went on the syndicated radio and TV program The Dan Patrick Show on Friday and gave an interview in which he was asked about the process that led to his signing a five-year, $125 million deal with the Los Angeles Angels. Towards the 10-minute, 30-second mark, he was asked by Patrick whether the Mariners had made “a strong play” for him.
“No, not really,” Hamilton said. “I mean, they were just like some other teams. You hear about Seattle but other teams, you didn’t hear about.”
Academic, I suppose. Except, if the Mariners truly did make a strong offer and push to sign Hamilton and he’s now saying they didn’t, it’s not exactly fair to Seattle, which is trying to overcome a perception that it’s no place a superstar wants to be.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 10
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (79)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)