Your first blank Hall of Fame protest ballot of the year

Dec 24, 2012, 5:47 PM EDT

Protest

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house, not a creature was stirring, except for this self-righteous, grandstanding attention whore:

My ballot for the National Baseball Hall of Fame 2013 election is in the mail. It’s dutifully signed, has my Baseball Writers’ Association of America badge number recorded, all official. What it does not have is a vote for a single player … I am choosing to speak loudly by using silence … …I don’t know what I’ll do next year, but I’m fairly sure I won’t send in a blank ballot. This one-year protest should make my point.

That’s Mark Faller of the Arizona Republic, by the way. The headline on his column is “Nobody deserves my Hall vote this year.”

But at least it’s “dutifully signed.”

Oy.

1. danaking - Dec 24, 2012 at 5:50 PM

So I guess he’ll only vote for first ballot guys next year, since no one else is qualified.

Weasel.

2. proudlycanadian - Dec 24, 2012 at 5:54 PM

May he receive some sharp cacti in his stocking. No need to waste a lump of coal on him.

• vallewho - Dec 24, 2012 at 6:23 PM

cacti dildo

3. ireportyoudecide - Dec 24, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I think what he’s trying to say is that if being a 7 time MVP, the single season HR record holder, and the all time HR king doesn’t get you in the hall of fame, then the hall of fame is so pointless he’s not going to vote for anyone. I salute him.

• kirkvanhouten - Dec 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Especially in Bonds case. End his career in 1998, and you end up with a 3 time MVP, 400 home runs, 400 steals and a 100 war player…and that’s before he went all Popeye!

No, the only justification for leaving out Bonds is because you believe that anyone who ver did steroids should essentially be banned from baseball. A punishment that MLB doesn’t believe. But hey, if you corked your bat, took amphetamines, threw spitballs or cheated in a more cutesy old timely way, it’s a-okay!

• vallewho - Dec 24, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Don’t forget the rampant racism. It does not seem to be a character trait that the HOF and the BBWAA have a problem with in terms of inclusion.

Furthermore, it would not surprise me at all if this jackass will include Luis Gonzalez in a ballot in the future.

4. zzalapski - Dec 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM

What the hell is it about Arizona BBWAA members and the Hall of Fame voting? A few years ago it was that nonsense about Corky Simpson not voting for Rickey Henderson, and now this.

• kylewo - Dec 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Something in the water in Arizona.

• 4d3fect - Dec 25, 2012 at 3:58 AM

yes, believe that’s called peyote.

5. theonlynolan - Dec 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I remember growing up and the Hall of Fame was an exciting place where the game’s immortals were enshrined. It was a fun place to debate about but now the foolishness expressed by the writers in recent years has rendered it a dark, soulless wasteland. I no longer really care who gets in. I know who was worthy and that’ll have to be good enough because the voting body as presently constructed is doing everything in their power to destroy what was once an incredible museum. Hope your faux moral outrage was worth it, BBWAA. Cooperstown no longer belongs to the fans. It’s yours. Enjoy it.

6. kirkvanhouten - Dec 24, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Take that Craig Biggio, Alan Trammell, Tim Raines, Curt Schilling, Jack Morris, Edgar Martinez, Dale Murphy, Lee Smith, Fred McGriff, and Kenny Lofton!

In other words, take that all players with some hall support that virtually no one has ever accused of using steroids. You’re also unworthy because some other guys did steroids.

7. thebadguyswon - Dec 24, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Talk about a group of people with an exaggerated sense of self-importance.

• Old Gator - Dec 24, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Leave the Tea Party out of this. This is a baseball blog.

• zzalapski - Dec 25, 2012 at 12:20 AM

And they wonder why the general public could give two shits about ballclubs moving the press box down the right field line.

8. Carl Hancock - Dec 24, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I don’t know what’s worse, PED using ball players or the annoying baseball writers. At least the players were exciting to watch on the field. The writers, to quote the great Sam Axe, “are just a bunch of bitchy little girls.”

• cur68 - Dec 24, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Now that’s a disservice to bitchy little girls everywhere. Some of them are damn funny.

9. chacochicken - Dec 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Once, in a protest of similar gravity, I left my comment card for Golden Corral blank but also dutifully signed. I bet that one stung.

• Old Gator - Dec 24, 2012 at 7:25 PM

That last piece of dried out flank steak really stuck to the pan, didn’t it?

• chacochicken - Dec 24, 2012 at 7:57 PM

It hurt me to do it. Maybe even more than it hurt them. Someone had to take a stand. I’d do it all over again.

10. FinFan68 - Dec 24, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Remove the “holier than thou” clowns. Give all HoFers and any manager of 10+ years (MLB) a ballot. Exclude the writers completely as too many have an ax to grind or a soapbox to stand on.

• paperlions - Dec 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Dear God no! About the only group worse than the writers are ex-players, especially HOF players.

11. Carl Hancock - Dec 24, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I don’t mind if a writer doesn’t want to vote for Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, etc. as long as they commit to it 100%. The means NEVER voting for them. None of this pick and choosing one PED user over another. ALL or NOTHING. Either never vote for a PED user or vote for ALL of them. Picking and choosing based on “Would they be a HOF player if they didn’t use?” logic is complete B.S.

12. digbysellers - Dec 24, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Geez Calc a little harsh chief…get in the Christmas spirit and lighten up a bit.

13. brewcrewfan54 - Dec 24, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Well he showed them!……………..right?

• Old Gator - Dec 24, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Well, he certainly showed me. I don’t know what it was, but he showed it to me. I know I don’t have one of those things growing offa my whatchamacallit.

• 4d3fect - Dec 24, 2012 at 7:52 PM

didn’t he want to see yours first?

• Old Gator - Dec 25, 2012 at 9:44 AM

If you were my age, nobody would want to see yours first either.

14. djpostl - Dec 24, 2012 at 6:34 PM

“The BBWAA is to Baseball as ________ is to _________.”

Have some fun with it people.

My take is “The BBWAA is to Baseball as syphilis is to sex” but I am quite sure there are some beautiful ones out there just waiting to be shared with the world.

• Old Gator - Dec 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM

progeria / Romper Room

• Old Gator - Dec 24, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Neanderthal / mammoth herd

16. Old Gator - Dec 24, 2012 at 7:36 PM

icepick / New! San Francisco Style Frozen Mixed Metaphors

17. charlutes - Dec 24, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Someone needs to write the script, Craig C, world writing police. I’m thinking Team America, but with a bitter old ex-lawyer as the main character.

18. digbysellers - Dec 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Old Gator/turdburgler

• Old Gator - Dec 25, 2012 at 9:46 AM

You’re too young to be using language like that, and getting into an exchange with you would be forensic statutory rape. Come back when your gonads drop and you can conduct this discussion without squeaking.

19. offseasonblues - Dec 24, 2012 at 8:58 PM

In a free country the BBWAA voters can vote for whoever they damn well please, or cast a blank ballot if they so choose. Others are free to voice their opinions.

Others are free to have opinions about the opinions.

Personally, I think leaving Pedro off the ballot because he was a pitcher was by far the more grievous offense.

• djpostl - Dec 25, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Yes. They can vote for whomever they please…until the BBWAA yanks their voting credentials if they ever saw fit. This has zip today with being in a free country or not since it’s part of an organization’s rule structure.

20. krzyman70 - Dec 24, 2012 at 9:28 PM

F*ck ALL the writers. If the hall of fame is for the fans, then why don’t the fans have a vote? As a Tigers fan, I want to see Morris, Trammell and Whitaker in the hall of fame.

21. joerymi - Dec 24, 2012 at 9:38 PM

As much as a sanctimonious prick this makes this guy, I still prefer it over what the likes of Bob Ryan have done. At least this guy is screaming “I am a dope,” while Ryan tries to ignore the fact that he was compliant in the “Steroid era,” while dripping with sanctimony.

As the all-time leaders of HR and hits are not in the HOF, we can no longer contend that the baseball Hall of Fame is the only one that truly matters.

22. BigBeachBall - Dec 24, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Too many players broke the rules… Therefore they all get a free pass…. If a riot breaks out and you steal some stuff… You are going to jail no matter how many other thieves are there with you.

• joerymi - Dec 25, 2012 at 1:27 AM

If a riot breaks out and only a small group of the rioters are scrutinized while other rioters of that riot are let off the hook even though they rioted. And oh yeah, at the time, the rioting was encourage by the same writers that are now condeming the rioting.

What a dopey argument.

23. gmenfan1982 - Dec 24, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Baseball writers who select hall of famers are a joke. It seems rather obvious to me as a baseball fan when a player deserves to get in or not. No need for saber metrics or stupid arguing. The eye test is enough for me. Bonds and Clemens might have used steroids but regardless they were incredible at playing he game of baseball even without steroids. They get my vote even if I think they are a bit sleezy.

24. gabe77 - Dec 25, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Asshat.

25. thebadguyswon - Dec 25, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Honey Boo-Boo/Television

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4161)