Merry Christmas from HBT

Dec 25, 2012, 12:01 AM EST

source:

I suppose it’s theoretically possible that someone might sign a player or otherwise make news in the baseball world today, but if history tells us anything it tells us that such a thing is unlikely. If something does happen, however, rest assured that one of us will find the time to say at least a few words about it. In the meantime, though, we’re spending time with our families and stuff like that.

We hope you are too. But if that’s just not in the cards today, spend some time in the comments to this post telling your fellow HBT readers what you think of them. But not how you do it most days. Say some nice things for a change. It’s Christmas for cryin’ out loud.

OK, fine. If you can’t think of something nice to say, say what you feel like saying anyway. Christmas is great and all, but we don’t expect it to change who you are. And, for whatever reason, we like you the way you are.

Merry Christmas, HBT Nation.

Sincerely,

The Management

1. brewcrewfan54 - Dec 25, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I’m getting drunk today!

• Old Gator - Dec 25, 2012 at 9:37 AM

In Milwaukee? On what – lake water?

See, and I just brewed myself a hot steaming mug of liquid pacemaker, from beans grown in the shade in the rich volcanic soil of the Galapagos Islands (and I’ve gone to great pains here to make clear that the shade is above the beans, not below them like the frankfurter in There’s Something About Mary, and the soil is below the beans where the volcanoes and millions of years of mother nature’s chemical wizardry put it) and which you can get from Treefrog Coffee (http://www.treefrogcoffees.com) in Tejas (stex, take note) although that’s a red-eyed treefrog from Guatemala (Agalychnis callidryas), not a coqui from Puerto Rico, to abate the hangover I gave myself, quite accidentally, last night when, inspired by Indaburg’s mixological proclivities, I tried to brew me a batch of coquito, that ambrosial Puerto Rican egg nog, – and which ones were the Puerto Ricans anyway, the Jets or the Sharks? – but nobody told me that those little treefrogs ( Eleutherodactylus coqui) had so much hallucinogenic toxin in their skins, so after chasing them up and down the trees all day and finally capturing enough of them to boil, I wind up freeassociating everything under Buddha’s heaven of the Bodhisattvas, who at least don’t croak “O Tannenbaum” from their stations in the Bardo as if they drank coquito for Christmas and woke up thinking they were the mayors of Milwaukee.

Wait – how did I get back to Milwaukee again?

• greymares - Dec 25, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Oh yes the Galápagos Islands the home of the Phillie Phanatic this site really is all about the Phillies. Lol. Merry Christmas everybody.

• Old Gator - Dec 25, 2012 at 11:46 AM

The Phanatic is certainly no less grotesque than many of the other life forms on the archipelago. Ruben Amaro Jr. always reminded me of a tool-using finch, and where else but a place where iguanas have learned to subsist on seaweed or cactus pads could an organism develop a simultaneous dependency upon, and immunity to, a diet as toxic as horrible horsemeat and Velveeta™ sandwiches?

• brewcrewfan54 - Dec 25, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Not in Milwaukee but near it. And I’ll mostly be drinking Miller Lite and taking the occasional shot of Jameson.

• indaburg - Dec 25, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I love me some coquito. It is alcoholic coconut milk from a goddess’ teat. My recipe for coquito doesn’t call for any actual coquí, but mine also isn’t quite so hallucinogenic. I think might need a copy of your recipe.

Oh, and the Puerto Reecans were the Sharks.

• brewcrewfan54 - Dec 25, 2012 at 1:55 PM

And at th risk of being simplistic or taking things too literally, while delicious, egg nog is entirely to thick to get drunk with. A drink is great but after a couple ya feel to bloated to continue the mission.

• jwbiii - Dec 25, 2012 at 2:27 PM

You need to add something to thin the texture. I suggest rum.

• brewcrewfan54 - Dec 25, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Still too thick to drink all night but 1 or 2 certainly sound tasty.

2. husky2score - Dec 25, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Didn’t ya here?? Brian Wilson was Santa Clause this year!

3. prosourcetalk - Dec 25, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Merry Christmas everyone!

4. panicatthedistrict - Dec 25, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Merry Christmas HBT Nation! I don’t comment much, but I’ll take the time to say that you all stay safe, and stay warm! Enjoy this time of year with your families.

Happy Holidays from Washington, D.C.

• Old Gator - Dec 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM

….source of so many happy holidays.

5. chacochicken - Dec 25, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Merry Christmas, you wonderful old Building and Loan!

• Old Gator - Dec 25, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Chaco, you might know – are those incredibly stupid fuzzy reindeer antlers folks have been attaching to their cars lately a return salvo in the War on Christmas?

Happy Holidays, everyone.

• chacochicken - Dec 25, 2012 at 10:23 AM

It seems like a flanking motion to further confuse an already tragically comic contrived outrage. Or it may be some sort of Lapp solidarity movement.

• Old Gator - Dec 25, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Ah yes, the Lapps. The very icons of “subsistence economics,” right? Leave no smidgen of your reindeer unused. Bladders for waterbags and wineskins, ligaments for thread and cord, legbones for musical instruments, skins for dwellings and clothing, pelvises for Ouija Scrabble tiles and planchettes. Yes, and recycled fabricants are a cheap source of protein, and Soylent Green is people. My elementary school social studies lessons are coming back to me in living eight millimeter….I remember! I remember it all now! This is wonderful!

• natslady - Dec 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I don’t know about the Lapps, but these photos are great. Cold, but great.

• chacochicken - Dec 25, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Yes, the Lapps (Sami) and Nenets are basically cousins and masters of transhumance semi-nomadic pastoralism. Like the Inuit, these folks are just used to being cold all the time. They have practically no vegetable matter in their diets either. Lots of meat on the hoof and fish and seasonal berries and such when and where available. The prize treats are the little parasitic grubs just beneath the hide of the reindeer that and the eyes. To the uninitiated, its like a warm thick grape, the eye that is, and usually results in instantaneous retching for us soft folk from warmer, more hospitable climes.

• Old Gator - Dec 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Eh. They didn’t show us the reindeer parasites when we studied the Lapps in third grade.

But by fifth grade, we were studying the Aborigines and we got to watch ‘em tweaking witchetty grubs out of the eucalyptus trees with toothpicks. Reminded me of tool using finches from the Galapagos.

Hey – how did we get back to the Galapagos?

6. natsattack - Dec 25, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Happy Holidays!

7. natslady - Dec 25, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Merry Christmas to all. And thanks to my nephew for sending me WONDERFUL pancake batter and maple syrup from Vermont. And thanks to all my family, students and friends for being so thoughtful…and…and… pitchers and catchers yet?

8. diehardcubbiefan4life - Dec 25, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Merry flippin Christmas to everyone here at HBT. Love this blog, and love all the regular commentators. Thanks to Craig, Drew, Aaron, and all the other writers here at HBT

9. abaird2012 - Dec 25, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Happy Holidays to the folks at HBT and all the commenters. You guys add to the merriment during the season, and keep me alive in the off-season.

10. bricktop02 - Dec 25, 2012 at 12:51 PM

From mine to yours. Merry Christmas.

11. cowboysoldiertx - Dec 25, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Merry Christmas from Texas. Texas… where Santa is 9 foot tall and decked out in Cowboy’s blue and silver. Texas… where it is ACTUALLY snowing!

• jwbiii - Dec 25, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Are you sure that’s Santa and not Ed Jones?

12. 4d3fect - Dec 25, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Merry Christmas all, from groover beach!

13. annaalamode - Dec 25, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate! Happy Tuesday to those who don’t!

14. proudlycanadian - Dec 25, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Oh dear! Andruw Jones has been naughty rather than nice and got himself arrested. No presents under the tree for him.

15. approvenothing - Dec 25, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Now that i have found time to post, Merry Christmas Everybody!

16. truwarier90 - Dec 26, 2012 at 12:14 AM

all i want for christmas is for allan selig to retire.

17. theskinsman - Dec 26, 2012 at 5:33 AM

My Christmas wish is that every blog concerning Andruw Jones arrest and legal issues be prefaced by the words ‘Former NY Yankee’. Either that or ‘former little league standout’. Whichever the writers find more accurate.Yankee homers.Bah, humbug!

18. Minoring In Baseball - Dec 26, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Happy belated Christmas to all baseball fans from Minoring In Baseball. I hope it was safe and fun for everyone! Now we can look forward to pitcher and catcher reporting, and the next real Holiday…Opening Day!!!!
    -Mike

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4730)
  2. M. Kemp (3747)
  3. M. Cabrera (2933)
  4. J. Kang (2821)
  5. J. Upton (2653)
  1. M. Morse (2631)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2339)
  3. A. Rios (2294)