Dec 26, 2012, 4:05 PM EDT
This seemed obvious, but perhaps the Pirates were taking the polite road and waiting for the Joel Hanrahan deal to Boston to become official before announcing it:
Neal Huntington confirms Jason Grilli will be the closer heading into spring training. Hopes Melancon can eventually develop like Hanrahan.
— Michael Sanserino (@msanserino) December 26, 2012
Grilli struck out 90 batters and posted a 2.91 ERA in 58 and two-thirds innings as the Pirates setup man last season, so he seems ready to handle ninth inning duties. If he falters, Pirates’ new acquisition Mark Melancon — a year removed from a 2.78 ERA and 20 saves with the Astros — could theoretically step in.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 63
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 62
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29