Dec 26, 2012, 4:05 PM EDT
This seemed obvious, but perhaps the Pirates were taking the polite road and waiting for the Joel Hanrahan deal to Boston to become official before announcing it:
Neal Huntington confirms Jason Grilli will be the closer heading into spring training. Hopes Melancon can eventually develop like Hanrahan.
— Michael Sanserino (@msanserino) December 26, 2012
Grilli struck out 90 batters and posted a 2.91 ERA in 58 and two-thirds innings as the Pirates setup man last season, so he seems ready to handle ninth inning duties. If he falters, Pirates’ new acquisition Mark Melancon – a year removed from a 2.78 ERA and 20 saves with the Astros — could theoretically step in.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)