Dec 26, 2012, 4:05 PM EST
This seemed obvious, but perhaps the Pirates were taking the polite road and waiting for the Joel Hanrahan deal to Boston to become official before announcing it:
Neal Huntington confirms Jason Grilli will be the closer heading into spring training. Hopes Melancon can eventually develop like Hanrahan.
— Michael Sanserino (@msanserino) December 26, 2012
Grilli struck out 90 batters and posted a 2.91 ERA in 58 and two-thirds innings as the Pirates setup man last season, so he seems ready to handle ninth inning duties. If he falters, Pirates’ new acquisition Mark Melancon – a year removed from a 2.78 ERA and 20 saves with the Astros — could theoretically step in.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 64
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 238
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (243)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)