Dec 26, 2012, 4:05 PM EDT
This seemed obvious, but perhaps the Pirates were taking the polite road and waiting for the Joel Hanrahan deal to Boston to become official before announcing it:
Neal Huntington confirms Jason Grilli will be the closer heading into spring training. Hopes Melancon can eventually develop like Hanrahan.
— Michael Sanserino (@msanserino) December 26, 2012
Grilli struck out 90 batters and posted a 2.91 ERA in 58 and two-thirds innings as the Pirates setup man last season, so he seems ready to handle ninth inning duties. If he falters, Pirates’ new acquisition Mark Melancon – a year removed from a 2.78 ERA and 20 saves with the Astros — could theoretically step in.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 49
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 147
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (149)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)