Dec 26, 2012, 7:34 AM EST
Things you forget every couple of years and then are reminded about again: Michael Young being part-Mexican:
Mexico lists Young among the candidates for its [World Baseball Classic] team. Young qualifies because his mother is of Mexican descent. Young has not indicated if he intends to play for Mexico.
Young’s mother — and his wife for that matter — are both of Mexican descent, so this would be way less random than some of the past WBC roster oddities, such as fourth generation dudes playing for team Italy and such.
No word if Young actually has an interest in playing in the WBC. This is just Mexico’s baseball people saying that he’s eligible. Also, no word where he’d play. Which leads to the interesting question of which country he’d demand Mexico trade him to if he did not like which position they asked him to play.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (100)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)