Dec 26, 2012, 7:34 AM EDT
Things you forget every couple of years and then are reminded about again: Michael Young being part-Mexican:
Mexico lists Young among the candidates for its [World Baseball Classic] team. Young qualifies because his mother is of Mexican descent. Young has not indicated if he intends to play for Mexico.
Young’s mother — and his wife for that matter — are both of Mexican descent, so this would be way less random than some of the past WBC roster oddities, such as fourth generation dudes playing for team Italy and such.
No word if Young actually has an interest in playing in the WBC. This is just Mexico’s baseball people saying that he’s eligible. Also, no word where he’d play. Which leads to the interesting question of which country he’d demand Mexico trade him to if he did not like which position they asked him to play.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 28
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)