Dec 26, 2012, 7:34 AM EDT
Things you forget every couple of years and then are reminded about again: Michael Young being part-Mexican:
Mexico lists Young among the candidates for its [World Baseball Classic] team. Young qualifies because his mother is of Mexican descent. Young has not indicated if he intends to play for Mexico.
Young’s mother — and his wife for that matter — are both of Mexican descent, so this would be way less random than some of the past WBC roster oddities, such as fourth generation dudes playing for team Italy and such.
No word if Young actually has an interest in playing in the WBC. This is just Mexico’s baseball people saying that he’s eligible. Also, no word where he’d play. Which leads to the interesting question of which country he’d demand Mexico trade him to if he did not like which position they asked him to play.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 12
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)