Police report: Andruw Jones told wife “I want to kill you”

Dec 26, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT

Andruw Jones mug shot

Andruw Jones was arrested at 4:00 a.m. on Christmas morning and charged with battery, and now the Associated Press has more details about the incident involving his wife:

Police say the wife of former Atlanta Braves star Andruw Jones accused him of dragging her down a staircase, grabbing her neck and saying he wanted to kill her. A police report obtained by The Associated Press says the fight happened around 1:30 a.m. on Christmas Day, after Nicole Jones asked her husband to help her prepare their home for Christmas morning. … Nicole Jones told officers she tried to escape upstairs, but her husband grabbed her by the ankle and dragged her downstairs, got on top of her and said, “I want to kill you,” according to the report.

Jones has since been released on bond.

1. missthemexpos - Dec 26, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Lets hope that Nicole Jones does not ask Andruw for any help preparing their home for New Years morning.

• florida727 - Dec 26, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Police Report: Andruw Jones told wife, “I want to kill you.”

I’m not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV, but I’m going to say that might not resonate well in court.

Oh well. Merry Christmas, Andruw. What did you get from Santa?

• blackandbluedivision - Dec 26, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Police Report: Andruw Jones told wife, “I want to kill you.”

WRONG

Police Report: According to “Nicole Jones told officers she tried to escape upstairs, but her husband grabbed her by the ankle and dragged her downstairs, got on top of her and said, “I want to kill you,” according to the report.”

Different story. This is how lies get told. You made it seem like the Police heard Jones say this. When in fact this is what his wife said Jones said. There is no proof he said those words.

• forsch31 - Dec 26, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Uh…unless people think that the police happened to be in the house when the incident happened, there’s absolutely no way that 99.9% of everybody reading that would think that.

2. gatordontplay - Dec 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I dont get why the cops got involved.. what did he do wrong?

• jimeejohnson - Dec 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM

He’s beat on a woman who happens to be his wife; he got arrested for being a LOSER!

• jackdaniels1 - Dec 26, 2012 at 1:44 PM

LOL! If only Andruw lived in the Middle East then he would have done nothing wrong

• badintent - Dec 26, 2012 at 6:03 PM

He was drinking sake prepping for Japan, he should have been drinking Jack !!!

3. randygnyc - Dec 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Nicole- “hey ‘Druw, can you grab the presents from the closet and quietly put them under the tree for our little angels”?

Andruw- “what you nagging me about, woman?

Nicole- “come on Andruw, we have to finish setting up for Christmas”

Andruw throws her down the stairs!!

Andruw- ” I’m gonna kill you, b!tch. Don’t you ever talk to me about Christmas”

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE IN THE JONES’ HOUSEHOLD.

• jimeejohnson - Dec 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Your scenario could be fictitious!!! I think the non-fiction version goes like this: Jones was pissed when he realized Santa’s not real (or is he).

• badintent - Dec 26, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Great stuff !!!HAPPY HOLIDAYS

4. Ben - Dec 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I think Andruw Jones is a hall of famer in the end, but if ever you were going to apply the character clause, it should be to sh*t like this.

• jhorton83 - Dec 26, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Andruw Jones was never going to be a Hall of Famer even before this. Not even close.

• Ben - Dec 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I think you underestimate how incredibly good he was before he got injured. He’s sitting at 72 WAR on his career. There are a lot of hall of famers wish substantially lower totals.

• koufaxmitzvah - Dec 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Here’s what I don’t like about WAR. I have no idea what it stands for, and I’m supposed to give a shit.

• seahawks55 - Dec 26, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Not even close? he was about 2 good seasons from 500 home runs and had 10 gold gloves.

• henryd3rd - Dec 27, 2012 at 7:59 AM

If potential was the criteria for election to the HOF he’d be a first ballot selection; but a lifetime .254 batting average get you nothing. He did however; get paid quite handsomely.

5. xmatt0926x - Dec 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I guess he didn’t like that bottle of Old Spice he got in his stocking……

6. nekotman - Dec 26, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Any man who assaults a woman, even his wife, is a POS who needs to be beaten himself.

• raysfan1 - Dec 26, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I think it should read “especially his wife”–but I completely agree with your point.

• blackandbluedivision - Dec 26, 2012 at 2:41 PM

lmao @ “even his wife”

• genericcommenter - Dec 26, 2012 at 6:16 PM

A man shouldn’t assault anyone, and needs to learn how to control his rage, but I’m sure it’s at least a little more understandable when a wife fuels the rage.

7. truwarier90 - Dec 26, 2012 at 12:31 PM

i think this is overblown, maybe he was playing call of duty and had a headset on, and he was probably trash talking some dude online.

8. number42is1 - Dec 26, 2012 at 12:36 PM

this is what i am picturing

“All right, this next song is dedicated to Bart Simpson, with the message “I am coming to kill you slowly and painfully.”

9. ducksk - Dec 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Merry Christmas to the jones’. 4 AM? Pretty risking messing with Santa

10. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Weak, so weak. Nothing can make a man more deserving of being stripped of his manhood than beating on a woman.

• number42is1 - Dec 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM

What IF its the UFC co-ed fighting?

• jimeejohnson - Dec 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Castration? He won’t be allowed into the HOF without his balls!

• kevinbnyc - Dec 26, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Nihilist…

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM

These men are cowards, Donny.

11. randygnyc - Dec 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Anyone else see the disconnect between Nicole asking for help and Andruw going nuts? The story is what happened before or after she asked. Can’t imagine my wife asking me to put more garland on the tree then strangling her with it.

• Daniel Lawson - Dec 27, 2012 at 8:08 AM

You think that there wasn’t maybe something more to this story? It’s not an excuse to hit a woman, but everyone has a line you shouldn’t cross… perhaps this was building up for days or weeks?

12. randygnyc - Dec 26, 2012 at 1:03 PM

The real story goes more like this- the Jones’ just got home from a Christmas party where Andruw was ogling everyone else’s wives. They were both drunk. When they got home, he wanted to get laid. She figured the kids would be up in 2 hours and the tree wasn’t even up. She nagged him about it. He went crazy. Where’s my detective badge?

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 26, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Probably up your a$$, along with your head.

• pisano - Dec 26, 2012 at 3:56 PM

mojo…. don’t be so harsh, it sounds logical when you consider it’s Andruw Jones.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 26, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Right, but it’s also randygnyc saying it.

• randygnyc - Dec 26, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I guess my scenario isn’t valid? Is it more probable they were in bed with their pajamas on, reading fine American literature by lamplight at 4 am when she realized they’d forgotten to prepare the house for Christmas? There most certainly was alcohol involved by virtue of the time of night. Now adding in the Christmas Eve party factor, it makes that part of the scenario more likely. As far as the ogling and who was bothering whom for sex, is admittedly, pure conjecture. But to think she asked for help and he just exploded without provocating factors, is just naive.

• badintent - Dec 26, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Funny, I read the exact same story in TMZ ! Nice !

13. thesmedman - Dec 26, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Seppuku, Anduw-san.

14. moogro - Dec 26, 2012 at 1:28 PM

The character clause has jumped the shark.

15. fdgalvan - Dec 26, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Tiki Barber is flabbergasted

16. MyTeamsAllStink - Dec 26, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Guess he didn’t get the IPhone 5 he wanted.

17. jhorton83 - Dec 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Terence Moore still a far better writer than Andruw Jones is a person

18. jason9696 - Dec 26, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Huge surprise that he’s black.

• kevinbnyc - Dec 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM

He’s from Curacao. Idiot.

19. truwarier90 - Dec 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Drew Brees would like an explanation.

Terrence Moore is a cornball brother.

20. pisano - Dec 26, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I’ll bet anything he was smiling when he said he wanted to kill her, that’s just how he rolls.

21. exibitsman - Dec 26, 2012 at 4:59 PM

they need to deport this P.O.S he’s a
    washed up nothing.

22. yahmule - Dec 26, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Luckily for him, he’ll be tried as a celebrity. The only reason this will impact his career is because there’s practically no career left to impact. If he were a current All Star, it would be just a bump in the road for him.

23. badintent - Dec 26, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Hell, send AJ to Detroit.

24. cool10857 - Dec 26, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Roid rage….

25. Gravy - Dec 26, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Why would anyone be named Andruw?

• cur68 - Dec 26, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Ask his parents. I once helped a nice mom and dad bring little “Tempest Olivia” into the world about a month early. Kid weighed as much as a sneeze. What’s she supposed to do when “Tempest Olivia” was being bandied about? Stand up and kick daddy in the balls for it?

I submit the working hypothesis that being named “Andruw” is NOT Andruw’s fault. Bouncing his wife around might well be (and if it isn’t I want to hear this excuse: it better have proof of zombie possession, demonic soul riding or somesuch) but being named “Andruw” is on his folks.

Orioles turn AL East on its head