Dec 26, 2012, 12:54 PM EDT
Along with Hanrahan the Red Sox also receive Brock Holt, a 24-year-old shortstop with good on-base skills who debuted with the Pirates this year.
In exchange for Hanrahan and Holt the Pirates get first baseman/outfielder Jerry Sands, reliever Mark Melancon, and prospects Stolmy Pimentel and Ivan De Jesus.
Hanrahan has been one of the best relievers in baseball since 2010, posting a 2.73 ERA with 10.4 strikeouts per nine innings in 205 appearances, and he saved 76 games during the past three seasons. He’ll be a free agent next offseason.
Sands was acquired by the Red Sox from the Dodgers in the Adrian Gonzalez/Carl Crawford/Josh Beckett trade. He hasn’t hit much in the majors so far, but the 25-year-old has consistently had very strong production in the minors, including hitting .288 with 55 homers and a .914 OPS in 213 games at Triple-A.
Boston got Melancon from Houston last offseason for Jed Lowrie, but he quickly went from setup man to the minors after a brutal start. He returned in June and pitched well with a 4.19 ERA and 40/10 K/BB ratio in 43 innings, so the Pirates definitely bought low on a capable late-inning bullpen arm.
Neither Pimental nor De Jesus ranked among the Red Sox’s top 10 prospects according to Baseball America. De Jesus, who was also acquired in the Gonzalez/Crawford/Beckett swap, has spent most of the past three seasons at Triple-A and projects as a bench player in the majors at age 26. Pimentel spent this season at Double-A as a 22-year-old, throwing 116 innings with a 4.59 ERA and 86/42 K/BB ratio.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 32
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 46
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)