Dec 26, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
It includes an invitation to spring training, where Diaz will be in the hunt for an Opening Day roster spot.
Diaz batted just .222/.280/.333 with two home runs and 13 RBI across 118 plate appearances this past season for the Braves. But he can play both corner outfield spots and the 34-year-old right-handed hitter owns an outstanding .324/.364/.498 career slash line against left-handed pitching.
UPDATE, 6:57 PM: Marc Carig of Newsday says Diaz could make up to $2 million if he cracks the major league roster, remains on it for the entire season and triggers certain performance-based incentives.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)