Dec 26, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
It includes an invitation to spring training, where Diaz will be in the hunt for an Opening Day roster spot.
Diaz batted just .222/.280/.333 with two home runs and 13 RBI across 118 plate appearances this past season for the Braves. But he can play both corner outfield spots and the 34-year-old right-handed hitter owns an outstanding .324/.364/.498 career slash line against left-handed pitching.
UPDATE, 6:57 PM: Marc Carig of Newsday says Diaz could make up to $2 million if he cracks the major league roster, remains on it for the entire season and triggers certain performance-based incentives.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)