Dec 26, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
It includes an invitation to spring training, where Diaz will be in the hunt for an Opening Day roster spot.
Diaz batted just .222/.280/.333 with two home runs and 13 RBI across 118 plate appearances this past season for the Braves. But he can play both corner outfield spots and the 34-year-old right-handed hitter owns an outstanding .324/.364/.498 career slash line against left-handed pitching.
UPDATE, 6:57 PM: Marc Carig of Newsday says Diaz could make up to $2 million if he cracks the major league roster, remains on it for the entire season and triggers certain performance-based incentives.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)