Dec 26, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
It includes an invitation to spring training, where Diaz will be in the hunt for an Opening Day roster spot.
Diaz batted just .222/.280/.333 with two home runs and 13 RBI across 118 plate appearances this past season for the Braves. But he can play both corner outfield spots and the 34-year-old right-handed hitter owns an outstanding .324/.364/.498 career slash line against left-handed pitching.
UPDATE, 6:57 PM: Marc Carig of Newsday says Diaz could make up to $2 million if he cracks the major league roster, remains on it for the entire season and triggers certain performance-based incentives.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)