Dec 27, 2012, 11:13 AM EDT
Andruw Jones was arrested on Christmas morning and charged with battery following an incident in which he allegedly physically abused his wife and told her “I want to kill you.”
That came one week after Jones agreed to a one-year, $3.5 million contract to play in Japan for the Rakuten Eagles, who apparently have no plans to back out of the deal.
“We received a report it was a domestic fight which escalated,” Eagles president Yozo Tachibana said, via Reuters. “Unless there is any more big surprises, we intend to go ahead as planned with his contract.”
According to the police report Jones is accused of dragging his wife down a staircase by her ankles after she tried to get away from him, grabbing her neck, and threatening to kill her, among other things. The incident took place following a Christmas eve party and escalated when, according to the report, Jones’ wife asked him to help assemble a computer table.
Jones’ wife fled to her parents’ house and police described her as having “visible injuries.”
All of which makes Tachibana’s “unless there is any more big surprises” comment sound pretty awful, because it implies what’s already being reported wasn’t “big” enough.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (73)