Dec 27, 2012, 11:13 AM EDT
Andruw Jones was arrested on Christmas morning and charged with battery following an incident in which he allegedly physically abused his wife and told her “I want to kill you.”
That came one week after Jones agreed to a one-year, $3.5 million contract to play in Japan for the Rakuten Eagles, who apparently have no plans to back out of the deal.
“We received a report it was a domestic fight which escalated,” Eagles president Yozo Tachibana said, via Reuters. “Unless there is any more big surprises, we intend to go ahead as planned with his contract.”
According to the police report Jones is accused of dragging his wife down a staircase by her ankles after she tried to get away from him, grabbing her neck, and threatening to kill her, among other things. The incident took place following a Christmas eve party and escalated when, according to the report, Jones’ wife asked him to help assemble a computer table.
Jones’ wife fled to her parents’ house and police described her as having “visible injuries.”
All of which makes Tachibana’s “unless there is any more big surprises” comment sound pretty awful, because it implies what’s already being reported wasn’t “big” enough.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
And he did it on the night the O’s are celebrating the 20th anniversary of Cal Ripken breaking Lou Gehrig’s record for consecutive games played.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York shares the plan …
Sep 1, 2015, 7:44 PM EDT
The reworking of the Red Sox has already begun under new club president Dave Dombrowski.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:51 PM EDT
It was a rather uneventful triple play as far as triple plays go, but cool and rare nonetheless …
Sep 1, 2015, 6:07 PM EDT
From beat writer Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com …
Sep 1, 2015, 5:17 PM EDT
Teixeira has started just one game since fouling a ball off his shin two weeks ago.
Sep 1, 2015, 4:54 PM EDT
Kelvin Herrera and Alex Rios are already infected and will could miss up to two weeks.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:41 PM EDT
Gordon missed two months with a groin injury.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
He deserves to be in already.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:39 PM EDT
Olivera was traded from the Dodgers to the Braves as part of July’s three-team, 13-player deal.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:14 PM EDT
Former Rookie of the Year and All-Star closer.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Wait — he wasn’t with the Dodgers already?
Sep 1, 2015, 11:28 AM EDT
“It wouldn’t surprise me if Jessica’s a regular on Sunday, Monday or Wednesday night baseball, whenever the time comes,” Kruk said.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
It’s pretty nice. But it also cost $1.6M.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He’s running out of time.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
At least he claims he did. Hmmmmm . . .
Sep 1, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
Bananas: an essential element in Team Chemistry.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:44 AM EDT
Put differently: It ain’t so.
Sep 1, 2015, 7:25 AM EDT
Matt Williams wears sunglasses like this so you cannot tell that he is asleep.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:51 AM EDT
Ruggiano will provide some depth with Yasiel Puig and Enrique Hernandez on the disabled list.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 21
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)