Dec 27, 2012, 11:13 AM EDT
Andruw Jones was arrested on Christmas morning and charged with battery following an incident in which he allegedly physically abused his wife and told her “I want to kill you.”
That came one week after Jones agreed to a one-year, $3.5 million contract to play in Japan for the Rakuten Eagles, who apparently have no plans to back out of the deal.
“We received a report it was a domestic fight which escalated,” Eagles president Yozo Tachibana said, via Reuters. “Unless there is any more big surprises, we intend to go ahead as planned with his contract.”
According to the police report Jones is accused of dragging his wife down a staircase by her ankles after she tried to get away from him, grabbing her neck, and threatening to kill her, among other things. The incident took place following a Christmas eve party and escalated when, according to the report, Jones’ wife asked him to help assemble a computer table.
Jones’ wife fled to her parents’ house and police described her as having “visible injuries.”
All of which makes Tachibana’s “unless there is any more big surprises” comment sound pretty awful, because it implies what’s already being reported wasn’t “big” enough.
Mar 31, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
He just opted out of his deal with the Sox last week.
Mar 31, 2015, 4:42 PM EDT
Why is this man smiling when his team appears to be destined for last place?
Mar 31, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
“Sheer panic … things got very bad, very quickly.”
Mar 31, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
Nice little loophole.
Mar 31, 2015, 3:02 PM EDT
WIll this man be smiling in October?
Mar 31, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
Chavez appeared in 80 games for the Mariners last season.
Mar 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
It’s supposedly just an arm cramp, but Brad Ausmus isn’t ruling out the DL.
Mar 31, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
A long-overdue measure will, apparently, soon be in place.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Wright had a rough spring, allowing 11 runs in eight appearances.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
With this team, they’ll need it.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:16 PM EDT
Petricka saved 14 games with a 2.96 ERA and 55/33 K/BB ratio in 73 innings last season.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
“I’m encouraged by it, and we’ll see how it carries over into the season.”
Mar 31, 2015, 11:33 AM EDT
But most people can afford tickets or are paid to play the games are decidedly not blue collar.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
He got the nod over Mark Buehrle.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
Jenna and I talk about the Mariners’ dynamite pitching staff, Mike Trout’s need of some support and when the Astros will finally break into the picture.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Probably destined for a part-time gig.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
The Phillies outfield is gonna be a train wreck.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Street is without an agent, representing himself, and has said he won’t negotiate after Opening Day.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
There is still a lot of time before anything can happen, but it’s looking less and less likely that the Rays will stay in Tampa Bay.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 1
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)