Dec 27, 2012, 4:52 PM EDT
News today that the Red Sox are talking to Adam LaRoche smell distinctly like something leaked by the Red Sox in order to put pressure on Mike Napoli as the two sides try to figure out to do with his contract in light of his bum hip. Seems like Mike Napoli can play that game too:
According to multiple baseball sources, at least one team has been in communication with Mike Napoli’s representatives regarding the free agent infielder’s status since negotiations with the Red Sox hit a snag.
That’s from Rob Bradford of WEEI.
Whatever. It strikes me as odd that the Red Sox are playing hardball with Napoli on the hip issue here. If they’re not careful he’ll go back to Toronto or on to New York or something and beat their brains out 19 times a season.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)