Dec 27, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Yesterday the Rangers made their one-year deal with A.J. Pierzynski official, adding the veteran catcher to the lineup following his career-year for the White Sox, but general manager Jon Daniels also said that he’s still searching for another hitter after losing Josh Hamilton and Mike Napoli to free agency.
“We’re looking at that now,” Daniels said, via Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas. “There’s a decent chance we’ll look to add somebody.”
Daniels went on to say that “somebody” could come via free agency or trade, so it’s tough to narrow down likely targets. However, just in terms of available free agent hitters the pickings are getting very slim.
Our own Matthew Pouliot has been updating his “Free Agency Tracker” and the top remaining position players are center fielder Michael Bourn, first baseman Adam LaRoche, left fielder Delmon Young, first baseman Lance Berkman, second baseman Kelly Johnson, left fielder Scott Hairston, and first baseman Luke Scott.
Bourn and LaRoche would both cost the Rangers a draft pick and none of those other names are particularly appealing. Napoli is also technically unsigned, but even if his three-year, $39 million deal with the Red Sox falls through a return to Texas seems awfully unlikely.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)