Dec 27, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Yesterday the Rangers made their one-year deal with A.J. Pierzynski official, adding the veteran catcher to the lineup following his career-year for the White Sox, but general manager Jon Daniels also said that he’s still searching for another hitter after losing Josh Hamilton and Mike Napoli to free agency.
“We’re looking at that now,” Daniels said, via Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas. “There’s a decent chance we’ll look to add somebody.”
Daniels went on to say that “somebody” could come via free agency or trade, so it’s tough to narrow down likely targets. However, just in terms of available free agent hitters the pickings are getting very slim.
Our own Matthew Pouliot has been updating his “Free Agency Tracker” and the top remaining position players are center fielder Michael Bourn, first baseman Adam LaRoche, left fielder Delmon Young, first baseman Lance Berkman, second baseman Kelly Johnson, left fielder Scott Hairston, and first baseman Luke Scott.
Bourn and LaRoche would both cost the Rangers a draft pick and none of those other names are particularly appealing. Napoli is also technically unsigned, but even if his three-year, $39 million deal with the Red Sox falls through a return to Texas seems awfully unlikely.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:49 PM EDT
Tonight’s Cubs-Pirates game was delayed for 23 minutes after a woman was hit in the back of the head by a foul ball in the top of the second inning.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:35 PM EDT
The Rockies are calling him day-to-day.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:55 PM EDT
Ben Zobrist left Sunday’s game due to left knee soreness and he’s now slated to miss at least another couple of days after receiving a cortisone shot.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:29 PM EDT
Tigers right-hander Justin Verlander had to cut a simulated game short last Wednesday and he’s currently in shutdown mode due to continued soreness in his throwing arm.
Apr 20, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
The Mets won their eighth straight game Sunday against the Marlins to improve to 10-3 on the year, but it came as a cost, as catcher Travis d’Arnaud and left-handed reliever Jerry Blevins were forced to leave the game due to injuries. Today we learned a little bit more about how long they’ll be sidelined.
Apr 20, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
It’s been a facility in flux since the Dodgers left in 2008, but it has a new life under new management.
Apr 20, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
It was bad enough that he needed stitches.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:22 PM EDT
Last season he threw 184 innings with a 4.11 ERA and 139/67 K/BB ratio.
Apr 20, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
And he actually owns up to taking stuff. None of that “I have no idea how that got in my system” rebop from him.
Apr 20, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
People from El Paso are still mad about that. Oh well.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Allen Craig replaced him in left field against the Orioles.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Beachy is 28 years old with a 3.23 ERA and 275 strikeouts in 268 career innings.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
The greatest trick baseball columnists ever pulled was convincing the world that the way they frame a topic is the only way to approach the topic.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
“You can’t do anything to fix it.”
Apr 20, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
His health is a huge key to the Angels’ success this season.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:52 AM EDT
If you hate in-game interviews of managers, just wait for in-game interviews of players.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:28 AM EDT
It made for a fast game, but I wouldn’t say a better game.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:57 AM EDT
Interesting: this was reported via a confidential source. Not released in a statement by the league.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:23 AM EDT
Or, as I call it, “pulling a Mulholland.”
Apr 20, 2015, 6:44 AM EDT
Nelson Cruz has eight homers on the young season. And a line that looks like something Barry Bonds put up over the course of four seasons.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 22
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (103)