Dec 27, 2012, 7:19 AM EDT
Many assumed Adam LaRoche would be back with the Nationals before Christmas, but as their talks have reached stalemate, someone else has stepped in. Here’s Rosenthal, talking about a new development: The Red Sox are interested:
[The Red Sox] are talking to free-agent first baseman Adam LaRoche, according to major league sources. The discussions, first reported by Boston-based reporter Jen Royle, involve two- and three-year possibilities, sources say. LaRoche, 33, wants a three-year deal, and that has been the main obstacle in his talks with his former club, the Washington Nationals.
More notable than what this means for LaRoche is what in the heck this means for Mike Napoli. Who, while technically still unsigned by Boston, is supposed to have a deal in place here.
The holdup thus far is reportedly due to Napoli’s hip and the Red Sox’ desire to rework the $39 million contract the sides tentatively agreed to. The LaRoche development could mean that conversations between Napoli and the Sox to rework their deal are breaking down. Or it could just be the Sox pressuring Napoli. Either way, it’s worth watching both for what it means for Napoli and LaRoche.
- Ryne Sandberg opines on baseball’s steroid era 19
- Watch David Wells’ perfect game from 15 years ago today 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 61
- Army Lt. Col. surprises daughter on ceremonial first pitch 34
- Bryce Harper in Nationals’ lineup for first time since crashing into right field wall 8
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness