Dec 27, 2012, 7:19 AM EST
Many assumed Adam LaRoche would be back with the Nationals before Christmas, but as their talks have reached stalemate, someone else has stepped in. Here’s Rosenthal, talking about a new development: The Red Sox are interested:
[The Red Sox] are talking to free-agent first baseman Adam LaRoche, according to major league sources. The discussions, first reported by Boston-based reporter Jen Royle, involve two- and three-year possibilities, sources say. LaRoche, 33, wants a three-year deal, and that has been the main obstacle in his talks with his former club, the Washington Nationals.
More notable than what this means for LaRoche is what in the heck this means for Mike Napoli. Who, while technically still unsigned by Boston, is supposed to have a deal in place here.
The holdup thus far is reportedly due to Napoli’s hip and the Red Sox’ desire to rework the $39 million contract the sides tentatively agreed to. The LaRoche development could mean that conversations between Napoli and the Sox to rework their deal are breaking down. Or it could just be the Sox pressuring Napoli. Either way, it’s worth watching both for what it means for Napoli and LaRoche.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)