Dec 27, 2012, 7:19 AM EDT
Many assumed Adam LaRoche would be back with the Nationals before Christmas, but as their talks have reached stalemate, someone else has stepped in. Here’s Rosenthal, talking about a new development: The Red Sox are interested:
[The Red Sox] are talking to free-agent first baseman Adam LaRoche, according to major league sources. The discussions, first reported by Boston-based reporter Jen Royle, involve two- and three-year possibilities, sources say. LaRoche, 33, wants a three-year deal, and that has been the main obstacle in his talks with his former club, the Washington Nationals.
More notable than what this means for LaRoche is what in the heck this means for Mike Napoli. Who, while technically still unsigned by Boston, is supposed to have a deal in place here.
The holdup thus far is reportedly due to Napoli’s hip and the Red Sox’ desire to rework the $39 million contract the sides tentatively agreed to. The LaRoche development could mean that conversations between Napoli and the Sox to rework their deal are breaking down. Or it could just be the Sox pressuring Napoli. Either way, it’s worth watching both for what it means for Napoli and LaRoche.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)