“The Third Team”: Behind the scenes with the World Series umpires

Dec 27, 2012, 11:50 AM EST

MLB Network is airing a cool-sounding show tonight at 9PM. It’s called “The Third Team: All-Access 2012 World Series,” and it features behind-the-scenes audio and video of Fieldin Culbreth, Gerry Davis, Brian Gorman, Dan Iassogna, Brian O’Nora and Joe West doing their World Series thing. A preview:

There are one-on-ones with the umps too, including their takes on the job itself. An actual quote from Joe West during the doc:

“I can honestly say, that whenever any umpire makes a mistake, a little bit of him dies inside.”

If that’s true, West is a zombie!

Haha, I kid because I’m a kidder. And because, really dudes, Joe West makes a whole bunch of mistakes.

Beyond that, though, this does sound like a cool doc. Check it out.

1. brewcrewfan54 - Dec 27, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Just set my DVR for it. Should be an interesting watch.

2. drunkenhooliganism - Dec 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Joe West will take this as confirmation that the game is really about him.

3. heyblueyoustink - Dec 27, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Careful there Craig, you never know when Joe West will slap some BBQ sauce on you and just eat you.

• kevinbnyc - Dec 27, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I’m sure Joe West doesn’t like anything awesome like BBQ sauce.

4. pilonflats - Dec 27, 2012 at 12:53 PM

this looks really good – even thought it humanizes umpires!

5. uuddlrlrbastart - Dec 27, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I’m really excited for this, but based on the previews, Joe West sounds exactly as arrogant about umpiring as you’d expect. I can’t wait for more of his thoughts on how great he is.

6. hojo20 - Dec 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM

No need to watch tonight. MLB will rerun it a million times.

7. butchhuskey - Dec 27, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Joe West is no Clint Eastwood.

8. StottsEra - Dec 28, 2012 at 9:30 AM

this does sound cool, but should we giving any more publicity to current MLB umpires? This is just more motivation for them to make things an ump show and joe west to sell more cds.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5650)