Dec 27, 2012, 8:57 AM EDT
Free agents come and go all the time. Often you see them take out an ad in the local paper or something to thank the fans. Less often the team issues a statement thanking the player for their service. But never have I seen a team wax so effusive of a departing player as the White Sox just waxed about A.J. Pierzynski.
The entire statement from owner Jerry Reinsdorf can be read over at CSNChicago.com. In part:
“Every White Sox fan appreciates and celebrates what A.J. meant to this organization during his time in Chicago. A.J. epitomized Chicago’s South Side through his toughness, his attitude, his flair for the dramatic and his passion for the game. He came to compete – and to win – every day.
Reinsdorf added that U.S. Cellular Field will be one park where Pierzynski “will never be booed.” Probably true as far as it goes, but I have this feeling he may take that as something of a challenge.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 5
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead