Dec 27, 2012, 8:57 AM EST
Free agents come and go all the time. Often you see them take out an ad in the local paper or something to thank the fans. Less often the team issues a statement thanking the player for their service. But never have I seen a team wax so effusive of a departing player as the White Sox just waxed about A.J. Pierzynski.
The entire statement from owner Jerry Reinsdorf can be read over at CSNChicago.com. In part:
“Every White Sox fan appreciates and celebrates what A.J. meant to this organization during his time in Chicago. A.J. epitomized Chicago’s South Side through his toughness, his attitude, his flair for the dramatic and his passion for the game. He came to compete – and to win – every day.
Reinsdorf added that U.S. Cellular Field will be one park where Pierzynski “will never be booed.” Probably true as far as it goes, but I have this feeling he may take that as something of a challenge.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (127)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)