Dec 27, 2012, 8:57 AM EDT
Free agents come and go all the time. Often you see them take out an ad in the local paper or something to thank the fans. Less often the team issues a statement thanking the player for their service. But never have I seen a team wax so effusive of a departing player as the White Sox just waxed about A.J. Pierzynski.
The entire statement from owner Jerry Reinsdorf can be read over at CSNChicago.com. In part:
“Every White Sox fan appreciates and celebrates what A.J. meant to this organization during his time in Chicago. A.J. epitomized Chicago’s South Side through his toughness, his attitude, his flair for the dramatic and his passion for the game. He came to compete – and to win – every day.
Reinsdorf added that U.S. Cellular Field will be one park where Pierzynski “will never be booed.” Probably true as far as it goes, but I have this feeling he may take that as something of a challenge.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)