Dec 27, 2012, 8:57 AM EST
Free agents come and go all the time. Often you see them take out an ad in the local paper or something to thank the fans. Less often the team issues a statement thanking the player for their service. But never have I seen a team wax so effusive of a departing player as the White Sox just waxed about A.J. Pierzynski.
The entire statement from owner Jerry Reinsdorf can be read over at CSNChicago.com. In part:
“Every White Sox fan appreciates and celebrates what A.J. meant to this organization during his time in Chicago. A.J. epitomized Chicago’s South Side through his toughness, his attitude, his flair for the dramatic and his passion for the game. He came to compete – and to win – every day.
Reinsdorf added that U.S. Cellular Field will be one park where Pierzynski “will never be booed.” Probably true as far as it goes, but I have this feeling he may take that as something of a challenge.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)